1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning question??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dshaw1414, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dshaw1414

dshaw1414 New Member

juat wondering what everbody uses to mark their capes before they send them to the tanners? I'm looking for an easy method so i can identify them when i get them back. thanks

2. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I don't send my capes out, But I do send my flat hides out, Wendy does the flat skins, I have an I.D punch However Wendy prefers a large S-needle.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Use the punch code system or a good heavy tag on the back side edge. Remember one thing with tags they can be easily cut off during the shaving process.

4. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

The tannery I use will not take a hide with a tag, be sure to ask before you send. For in house tanning, I use the water tag's with a sharpie marker.

5. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

leather punch lower corner of the capes or hides try and use the small hole punch cape number 345 should look like this and I skip any number with zero in it

... or . . .
    .... . . .
    ..... . . .
    . .

6. real-glory

real-glory New Member

well then how do you do it are you 100 % sure your getting your hides back I've never heard of someone sending out there hides with out a tag???

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

real-glory, haven't you read the answers to your post? Randy Mac gave you the same answer that's been posted here dozens of times. Tanneries don't grow skin and heal holes in the hide. You simply match YOUR punch code to the hide. You can bet the tannery has it's own punch code and THEY know which hides belong to you.

I recommend NOT using a round punch. Buy the hide punches sold by the suppliers or grind flat edges on a Phillips screwdriver so that they cut a * pattern and are easily seen after tanning.

8. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

As papa George just said, do you think the tanneries don't know who's is who's? they punch. The tannery I use will not accept hides with any tags such as plastic,metal, aluminum. they require you to "punch" a hole as they do. hope this helps......

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

What I do is make shapes with the punched holes or drill holes if they are to dry to punch. Make 3 holes across, vertical, 4 across, triangles, whatever across the bottom of the cape and correspond that to the customer. Can't get any easier, Paul

10. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

I leather punch the customers number on the hide. If it were # 35. You look at the hide when it comes back from the tanner you acutally read the #35 on it. No missed punches. or trying to find and count holes. Never have any mistakes... ;D

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

BearB8, that might be fine if you only have one or two hides and presuming you don't get numbers that will carve out slices in your hide. A hole punch is never a good idea as it destroys hair while a hide punch just separates them. Additionally numbers like 0,8, 6/9, and 4 set you up for tears when the hide is stretched. You know this really isn't rocket science and if you can't count punch marks, I wouldn't recommend you riding on an elevator.