1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Birds vs. Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by LOCKED-UP, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hey there to all. In the past I have done only bird work. Waterfowl to be exact and only for myself I am not a money earning taxidermist, just hobbist. I was out fishing this weekend and caught some monster crapppie...boy were they good !!!!

Anyway, I put the biggest in the freezer to try to mount for myself. For you fish guys that have done some birds....how would you compare the level of difficulty between waterfowl and fish? I know I can't expect perfection on my first or even the next few to follow but i would like to get a result that still looks like a crappie ...... ha ha !!!!

I know on the birds forum there is so much info on what methods are being used, but haven't really seen a start to finish for fish. If anyone could give me a link to a step by step how to for fresh water fish that would be great !!!

Also, let me know how much of a challange I am up against compared to waterfowl

Thanks

John

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

First off, keep that crappie in the freezer. I would invest in some dvds before you make any moves, and start with something easier like a bass. Crappies can be challenging to do correctly. A crappie is similar to a wood duck thats full of pin feathers.

As far as comparing the two....it's depends on what you working on and your skill level. I would say they are about equal.
    However, Larger salmon and muskey/pike skin mounts are more difficult in my opinion.

3. akairman

akairman New Member

I'd also be interested in a "how to" for skin mounts. i would like to try one sometime, but i don't even know how to go about skinning one. can anyone recommend a good basic DVD or Book? i have the "home book of taxidermy and tanning" by Gerald Grantz, and although helpful the pictures are somewhat vague, and i am a visual person.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I agree and would add this. It depends on where your strengths lie. Birds are my WORST category of taxidermy. Many people HATE fish.

IMO(and I am sure someone will disagree) Birds are 95% in the mounting about 5% in the finishing. Fish are closer to 50/50

5. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

yeah when it comes to fish, crappie are a crappie choice to start with. they loose scales very easily. get a video, start on some bass, then work your way up. Jim is right though. the level of difficulty is dependent upon your skill level, and everyone has stregths and weaknesses. i love both birds and fish, but am better at fish.

6. wildwings

wildwings New Member

I do both and personally fish are easier. Look at it this way if feathers fall out of a duck your screwed. If the scales fall off out of a fish apoxie and sculpt them back in. Plus I make more doing fish then birds.

7. Give it a go on the Crappie, the next fish you do will seem easy.