1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Searching for step-by-step instructions!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by GreenBullhead, Mar 23, 2009.

1. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Hi, I'm searching for a step-by-step tutorial on how to mount a fish. I would love to learn how to create skin mounts from the very, VERY beginning [ei. freezing, skinning, removing body parts, preserving, etc], and how to paint them after they have been mounted. :) I searched the tutorial section and got a little lost.. I also wanted to know how much skin mounting would cost compared to just painting a replica. Any information would help! Thanks. ;D

2. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Get a video, very informative.

3. GreenBullhead

What type of videos do you recommend for fish? I want to pick one that's quite detailed, but not too expensive. :) Thanks for the suggestion Marc.

4. sent pm

5. GreenBullhead

Thanks gahuntinfool!

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have bought a dvd and a video tape, how to mount a largemouth bass. They seem to lack some of the detail you can get from working with somebody one - one. I started taking classes on mounting fish and game heads. I hope to do some apprentice work for someone to learn even more.

7. Brwakthourgh fish manual has everything you are looking for. Then you can move on to DVDS and videos.

8. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

X2 on the breakthrough mannual

9. GreenBullhead

Breakthrough fish manual... some are priced at 140 dollars.. does that sound right?
    Should've sold some of my textbooks....... I don't use most of them anyway!!

10. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

must be looking at the wrong thing should only be 24.95 or something like that let me see if I can find one in one of my catalogs

11. GreenBullhead

Yeah... I looked on a random site and it was 25.. then I went on Amazon and it was 140! That's why I just wanted to clarify, lol.. don't want to buy the wrong book.

12. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

http://www.mckenzietaxidermy.com Item number BP1006 Breakthrough Fish Taxidermy Mannual $24.95

13. GreenBullhead

Ah yes! Thank you soo much! ;D
    I'll probably order it tonight! :) It'll give me something to do on the weekends... lol.

14. GreenBullhead

I was also wondering if I should order anything along with it. Or should I just be patient and learn first? ;D

15. swoods

swoods New Member

Best I can tell you is to read, study and then pracitce. It comes easier the more you do. Have patience and practice and try to improve on each one. It takes time to get good.( a looooooooonnnnnnnngggggg time for me)

16. GreenBullhead

:) Hah, I sure am good at studying! And with patience too... I just wish I could watch someone and follow along hands on! Right now I'm observing great mounts and their qualities... as well as ref pics in general.

17. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

join your taxidermy association and attend some seminars they will be really helpful

18. GreenBullhead

Hm.. that sounds like a good idea once I get into it more.

No members in Philadelphia county: DARN! :D But there are a good bit in Butler county PA...

19. I have a vhs breakthrough video Bluegill (Bream) Mounting A to Z with Jimmy Byrd You can have Great video shows from skinning to painting completed fish if interested just $5 to cover shipping let me know

20. GreenBullhead

Thanks bassbuster, I'll let you know if and when I will need it. First I'm going to read a good bit and not get too ahead of myself!