1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hand held mini flesher

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by nuthin fancy, Sep 14, 2006.

1. nuthin fancy

nuthin fancy New Member

i was wondering if the hand held mini fleshers(air powerd) are good!!do they thin the capes to !! new to taxadermy and was intrested in buying a flesher just dont want to buy one of those real expensive table models write now!! i was planing on using it for deer heads!!thanks joe t

2. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I had one for a while before i bought the DakV.
    Personally, I didnt like the hand held one and traded it.

3. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I use to have one. You can shave deer hides and do a good job with it. It take more time using one to do a deer cape. But it takes "a lot of a compresser to support it". I almost burnt up a new 26gal. 6hp compresser using it. By the time you figure total cost (mini flesher & compresser) a table model wouldn't cost much if anymore.

You will hear a lot folks say I use to have one of them.

Hope this helps, EJ

4. nuthin fancy

nuthin fancy New Member

thanks for the imput im just starting out took a class with mr giffith and some friends asked me to practice on there deer!! i still would like to have a nice cape so i figured id ask about these mini fleshers . i really like mounting so maybe it would be worth the extra dollars!!joe t

5. SWolk

SWolk Give it your best shot

I use mine quite often. I use it on whitetail faces, and small mammals. I guess it is like anything else, it is what you get used to. It does need a good compressor to support it. Mine is a 60 gallon. Been using the combo for about 8 - 9 years. When mine poops out, I will probably get another one.

6. RJ

RJ New Member

I had one and didn't care for it, you need to get used to the splatter. For the money, and if you can wait, I'd go for the table top. If your thinking of going to the mini flesher just to go cheap I'd go with a wire brush on a grinding wheel motor. Cheaper than a mini flesher by far and will do just as good of job.

RJ

7. Gary

Gary New Member

One other thing to consider is the electric powered mini-flesher,It's a foredom tool with a mini-flesher on the end. I have a full size flesher but also have the electric version for all the areas that the full size wont get into.And you can allways take off the mini-flesher and use it as a flex shaft grinder.Plus its very quiet,Gary

8. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Probably if you plan to do a lot of fleshing, you should buy a table top flesher. I use a mini flesher, I only do a few deer a year and can't justify the larger flesher. You can run it with a small compressor, I have a 3hp Craftsman, it just runs a lot. For the fews capes I do it works fine, then is out of the way when I don't need it.

9. c bowen

c bowen New Member

I agree with Gary. If you are going to consider one by the Foredom. I have used both. Its just simply a better unit. Its quiet and has a foot pedal and like he said it can used as another tool.

10. Wildgame

Wildgame New Member

I used one for a while, very easy to cut holes. I did my first 5 deer and bought the Dakota iv, buy the fleshing machine, it will save you a lot of time and sowing.

11. nuthin fancy

nuthin fancy New Member

thanks for the imputs guys .im new to this figured id ask around!!

12. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

I have a mini flesher, and will use it until a I can afford a table top.., Messy, messy, messy.., but it works for me (for now).
    Bill

13. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    I have been using the same one for over 10 years and I love it . It just depends on what you get use to using. You have to take your time and learn how to use it .

14. qflesher

qflesher New Member

Hi, If you want to do any serius fleshing, nothing's beter than a 12 inch blade. Some models are more expensive than others but usualy you get your moneys worth. Simply sit down and think what your neads are for the next 20 years. If your seriusly interested a good machine is an investment. If it takes you 1-2 or 3 hours to flesh a cape you could save a bondel in the time you save. The fleshing video using the Quebec Lite shows you how to flesh a cape in 15 minutes. Time is money.
    Gerry

15. nuthin fancy

nuthin fancy New Member

yeah im really starting to see it might be a better option to purchase a table unit .thanks for the imput!!