1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Split skull plates,what should I charge

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DILLWEED, Mar 24, 2009.

1. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

I got some elk in for shoulder mounts and the skull plates are split,for the obvious reason of easier transport.My question is should I charge exrta to put them together again?And how much would you charge?

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Nothing extra. You should be prepared for that as its common practice & include it in your price. Most people really get tired of being nickled & dimed.

3. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Is there any special method of reattaching the skull plates other than bondo and screws to the form?

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

On Elk when you use Bondo, you better add chop & resin to strengthen the Bondo. Those horns are heavy duty & the first time you grab them to move the animal you could be in for a sad surprise if you did not strengthen the mix.

As far as charging extra, that is totally up to you. If you are inexperienced & it is going to take you longer that someone who has done it a few times then yes, charge for your time. If the customer raises a big fuss then weigh your options, are you getting paid enough in the first place to warrant the extra labor.

Always when you make your price list add $100-200 to big game for "circumstances"....meaning you never know what problem may arise so you are compensating yourself. As an example, when I made my price list last time my calculations told me that for a closed mouth Elk $950 was about what I needed to charge. I made the price $1,100. That covers me in cases of extra care/time with the animal.

I really feel that in a lot of cases of mass sub par mounts coming out of a Taxidermy studio is not based on lack of talent, but more a lack of time. For example, on a Whitetail, if you for some reason set the eyes wrong, if you are getting paid $350 for that Whitetail you really can not justify pulling everything back apart, but if you are getting around $500 you feel you owe the customer, not the other way around. I have heard Taxidermist's tell me "well he's getting that mount for such and such $$$$$'s so he gets what I give him, he should be thankful for me only charging him that much!" where as somebody charging more will comment "I'm charging such and such $$$$'s, I better make that damn deer look good!!!!" :)

I guess I said all that to say this, if it takes you charging the customer more to get a good mount (not rushed) back to him then do it....if you have already charged a good price & are getting compensated well, then just set them.

5. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

IMO bondo for split skull plates is CRAP....again this is my personal opinion. I used fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth top and brain cavity.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Opinions are like a$$holes Bobbi :)

7. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Even though it's a bunch more expensive, I always buy the Tiger Hair version of bondo with the fiberglass already in it. But thanks for the tip :)

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

everybody has one.....

where's George when I need him? LMAO

9. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

I drill holes in the cap and use lacing wire to pull them back together, good coat of bondo or glass will hold them to gether fine.

10. #1 headhunter

#1 headhunter New Member

I also drill several small holes in both sides of split and use stainless wire to pull back together. If you use pliers to twist the wire, you can get them pretty tight. Then I use the bondo. Always works for me. Get used to it, you will see plenty of split skulls in the future. Lot of people on Ebay are now splitting them to save money on shipping.

11. Mason

Mason Active Member

Drill holes wire and bondo here also. I also take my dremel and make a small trough from hole to hole for the wire to run for even more strength. Not deep!
    Takes 15 or 20 minutes after you have done a few. Michaels right. If you need more time charge for it. But after a while. It's a rather easy fix.

Good luck with it!

Mason

12. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Thanks for the tips! I've already dropped a whitetail and antelope horn set that broke the skull plate....will be fixing them this weekend ;)

13. Mason

Mason Active Member

Hey Joe,

I super glue mine in place after I drill the holes. Then work with them a bit gingerly. That way they end up where they should be after the bondo sets up!

14. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Mason thanks

Great tips everyone. Thanks.

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sure thing Joe,

Usually just a Taker here. It's nice to be able to share what little I do know when I can :D

Mason

16. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Just a question as I have not delt with this yet and will be this next season with some caribou it sounds like I will be getting in.... Seeing as the plate is already split would be simpler/just as time consuming to do detachable antlers on big game such as elk and bou?? Maybe a lil more material cost in detachables?? WCL

17. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

thanks for all the great replies everyone.i am going to charge for these because i dont really have it figured into my price,but i will figure it in in the future beause i just hate adding 'extra charges' , and it makes sense to have your a$$ covered for little stuff like that.i am another one of those taxidermists not charging enough and i have to change that so i dont have to worry about little crap like this.thanks again for the great advise !