1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unruly hair question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JEJ, Mar 25, 2009.

1. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    do any of you have good ways of taming unruly hair on whitetail capes. I have a tanned on that i must have rolled up in a ball and when i took it out it looked like it was having a bad hair day. I am not talking just a little spot that i would screen, lots of swirled hair sticking up. Any thoughts on what i can do to get this hair to lay down? Thanks.

2. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    Hair gell. comb it in, let it set for a couple of days and comb it out.

3. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

I use clay.Just smear it into the unruly hair and flatten the hair then let it dry.Then brush it out and the hair will stay in place.

4. troy

troy Member

PA
    I've done both and they both work. One thing, though, is I made my clay like a really thick pudding by mixing it with some water.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Improperly neutralized capes will chemical burn the hair like that. The above methods, will work, but as soon as you brush them out, the hair will stick back up, unless you totally rehydrate the hair roots before adding gel or mud.

6. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    This is a commercially tanned cape (where i have not had this problem before), it was wet tanned and prepping it now so it is still wet. Need to wet it more Mr. T?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Not if it is already wet. Window Screen the heck out of it, gel and mud will give it a a glued down look. I would just wet it, and groom it, and screen the upity hair to match the good hair, and not paste it down myself. I use to gel and mud, but not any more, but do what you got to do, I hate those capes like that.

8. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

A great tip I picked up lately on here is using a travelers clothes steamer. I got mine at walmart, works great just steam the hair until it is quite damp then brush it where you want it. it will stay pretty good. I havent had to try it on a huge mess yet though.

9. I don't know about not being neutralized, and chemical burn.
    When I have seen capes this way they were normally not dried correctly when salted and laid wet to long. Seen it in capes that were not salted and went right to the pickle.
    Have seen it in capes that were boarder line before salting. Have seen it more in syntan, tan skins also. Have seen it from not enough salt in the pickle. The list goes on and on.
    Chemical burn will only have part of the hair damaged on the end or towards the end. Have been told that to much acid will act like you are saying but Ive tried and cant get it to happen.
    Is the hair twisted clear into the root or does the hair start twisting part way up the shaft ? Chemical burn will leave the tip of the singed and curled.

10. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Some deer just have naturally curly hair. I've seen some freshly shot and mounted that have swirls, wavey hair, cowlicks in odd places, a mane down the back of the neck, and ruff hair that goes all over in its own patterns. Doesn't make the mount look as clean groomed but some deer are just different. Maybe some of the tips mentioned can fix those but I've never tried. WCL

11. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sounds like about everythign can cause it, haha.... Maybe its just the cape and not the method used. I dunno. WCL

12. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Sounds like hot spots from before you got it. Was it iffy when you took it in?

13. Use gauze and wrap or pin in place. I've used clay in the past and unless you use windex to almost rehydrate it to the point where it was in the first place the clay will still look like there was clay there when you brush it out. I think it's the cape and not too much (too little) salt or acid burn.

14. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Thanks for all the responses, inspecting it more it is mainly down the back and seems to be a combination of swirly hair (the whole hair) and some where it is just half the hair "flairing" out. Don't remember the cape being questionable when it came in but doesn't mean it wasn't either.

15. platzy

platzy New Member

MO
    maybe this particular deer listened to punk rock and styled it that way?

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

Did one today that had hair going everywhere. Hair gel has always worked for me, but I have had some that you just couldn't tame.

17. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Matt, did you gel and card it? When you comb it after drying does it curl right back up. That is what i think is going to happen. This cape is still in the fridge waiting to be mounted, been worrying about it.