1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how do i take the brains out

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by kycooner, Jan 13, 2007.

1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

without daminging the skull

2. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

Through the foramen magnum, the hole in the back of the skull. Couple ways you can go about it, depending on the size of the skull and how much effort you want to exert. A hose or power washer would make removing them a cinch, but it could get rather messy and can possibly damage delicate bones. I take a hook-shaped wire and go in through the back of the skull, scramble up the brains, then turn the skull over and give it a good shake. With a little practice, you can get it so that the brains fall out in one shot. Rinse and shake to remove any remaining matter. For larger skulls, an old fork works well. For smaller skulls, use teasing needles and forceps. Cheers,

Dave

3. AJ

AJ New Member

i was going to remove the brains from my skulls before, but the last neck bone was connected, and i didn't know how to remove it without damage to the skull... how do you do that?

(not trying to highjack this, lol)

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Let it rot! It will turn into liquid and you can rinse it out.

5. TK5028

TK5028 New Member

When I did my maceration process (thanks to the help here) they just washed out with the water when I removed it.

6. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

Yeah, you can also let the brains rot out, but I wouldn't recommend it. Quite simply, the brains will be the cause of most of the stink during the initial cleaning process. But more importantly, the brain is highly saturated with fats, fats that can and will seep into the bones if let in during cleaning. If left in the maceration, the brains- besides seeping into the skull- will indeed begin to leak out of the skull, but then the skull will sit in the fatty matter after that. In boiling or simmer, the oils are cooked into the cranium, not to mention the fact that cooked brains are a pain to remove. Smell + inefficiency = sub par method. The only time I would leave the brain in the skull is during some beetle cleaning processes. The brain, aside from being fatty, is highly nutritious, and the bugs love it. Leaving the brain in the skull for the bugs to eat can cause population explosions, but you will have to make sure that they will get to it before the brain begins to rot and become absolutely rancid. Thus, I leave the brains in smaller skulls only.

As for the vertebrae being still attached to the skull, if you want you can go through the vertebrae to get at the brain and make your life easier, as the cleaning process will loosen them enough for an easy removal. Still, I like to remove any attached vertebrae prior to cleaning. I use a knife or scalpel and carefully cut it off at the attachment at the occipital condyles. It's not difficult at all if you know where such an attachment is. Hit the anatomy books! ;D

Cheers,

Dave

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Dave,
    Never had that problem with any of my skulls, but then again, I change out about 1/3 of the water about once a week anyways.
    Wolfie

8. AJ

AJ New Member

lol ill have to look for the attachament at the occipital condyles (yeah i copy pasted that) next time. lol

yeah with maceration they will just rot out,,, well it seemed to me that started dangling at the bottom of the skull and i had to pul it out then give it a nice rinse.

but next time i wanna try to remove it first. cause liek dave said it seems liekt he brain is what gives the most smell. and it seems like the brain itself is atleast half of every thing that needs to be rotten off the bone.

btw dave, both skulls are out of the peroxide and setting under some flourecent lights. gotta glue some spots, and mount dads skull. do the sameto myskull then touch up the antlers and itll be done,, pictures shortly :p

9. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

Wolfie, if it works for you then that's all that matters!
    AJ, can't wait to see how they turned out. I have high hopes. You nervous? lol I'm sure they're gonna look great!

Dave

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Do a search here...type in "brain blaster" and you will see the device that I use to wash out brains. Takes less than 15 seconds per skull, and thay are all gone.

11. AndyB

AndyB New Member

i take a wire and wipe it around in there then i blast it out with are i made a fitting that goes on the brain and blows them out