1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lower lip problem

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

:mad: Alright guys and gals, I had a lower lip pull out big time on me I'm em barrest to say. I know, stupid hurts, but I didn't bag it and my wife decided to run the Dehumidifier all day and night when we were busy running with hockey. So, I've been dragging my feet deciding what to do. I thought about using the cotton ball and glue trick to cover the lip area I don't want showing and rebuild a lip with epoxie above it. Do any of you think this will work? or should I rehydrate the whole lower jaw and lips, re-paste and re-tuck.

2. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Just rehydrate lower lip and retuck.

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

X2

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

X3...and give yoir wife a good whoopin!

5. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I would have to give her half a whoopin, since it was a combination of a couple things. Not bagging the damn thing realy hurt. This thing pulled more than I could even emagine. I am going to have to hydrate the whole F#[email protected] lower jaw to get it right is the issue I have. [email protected]*, SH#$, Sh#@.

6. jasonb

Don't panic it is not the end of the world and if the bottem lip pulled that bad then the eyes should be bad to. If you could post a pic and let us help you.

7. In the future, dont use clay on the lower lip, use Apoxie Sculpt to form it. It dries in 4 hours and won't pull.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

WOW!! Take your meds and just rehydrate the darn thing :D :D It will be fine ;)

9. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

LOL, Sorry Red, didn't mean to go off that half cocked. I just realy hate rehydrating, I alway's worry about hair slipping.
    Jason, the eye's got a little more open than I would like also because of this, but I think we can live with it. I'll take a picture when I get home from work and post it.
    Hughiam, you are correct, I used clay. I'll try the epoxie next time.

10. jasonb

If it was tanned properly you shouldn't have any problems with slippage but if you DP'ed the cape then you have reason to worry.

11. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Yep, have a reason to worry.

12. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I thought we taught you better than that!!! LMAO

13. jasonb

If you DP'ed the cape and it pulled that much you didn't get the skin thin enough to begin with. This kind of stuff happens when people try to cut corners or think they can do just as good as a pro. How long have you been doing taxidermy?

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Use 2 part epoxy hide paste on face with dp, won't pull anywere then.

15. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Ohhh, 27 years since I did my first deer and about 30 to 40 heads in that time. That has nothing to do with it. I know it was thin. I generally worry more about it being too thin (seeing hair thin) on the chin area.

16. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I have 3 others waiting to be painted with no probelms at all. Just this one.

17. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I tan, and mount em where I want em, and they seldom move. If anything, slightly overtuck them if you think they might. If I understand you correctly, youre DPing them, so...need I say more? Hahaha. I wish ya well.

18. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks For the confident words Bill, LOL These are the last DP'd deer comming out of my shop. Believe me.

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Brule, I think youll enjoy the working feel of tanned stuff once you get used to it. I hope you do, anyway. Let us all know!

20. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

X2