1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Tannery's Eye View- Day Nine of Nine-Im DONE!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day TWO of 15

This is one that I got back from the tannery (not yours). That huge hole was not there when I sent it. I called and they are supposed to be crediting my account and I'm not charging the customer. Overall I've had a good experence with them but this one made me start having a bunch of doubts. Just hope I don't lose the customer due to it. He knows but hasn't seen it yet as I'm still working on his skull.
    I don't doubt ya'll get a bunch of crap to work with, I've seen what people drag in the shop, LOL.

2. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day TWO of 15

Becky, you got a skin side pic of that hide? Thats looks like a big shaver boo boo.

3. Becky P

I'll get one. Be back shortly.

4. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I used this one tannery and sent them 8 Black bear skins, about 2 months later I got a letter in the mail it said> your bear are complete you had 6 rejects so your bal due is only bal bla bla and so on, I was PISSED! I got on the phone so damn fast, I told them I prepped them bear myself, and I know things can happen but them bear were good!!! They responded to me that I got that letter by mistake, it should not have been sent to me, I found out latter that some dork forgot to put salt in with the pickle and lost 60 black bear, I did get 8 bear back, my punch marks were in a different spot LOL seems I'm not the only switcharoo out there.......

5. Becky P

Here's the skin side. I thought I could sew it back together but it's missing a piece.

6. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

My point here, is NOT to slam anyone.

My point here, is to make everyone think twice, before believing anything typed on here, thats all.

There are good and bad seeds, in every profession, especially yours, and mine!

Lets see what tomorrow brings?

7. Becky P

That's the way it should be anyway.

8. Rhino

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Three of 15

warthog cape

9. Rhino

Antelope cape. These glands were thinned way to much, by the Taxidermist. DRY TAN, and tumbling in sawdust, will EQUAL bald glands! Hair coming thru already.

10. Rhino

Cape buffalo ear.

11. Rhino

Nice giraffe cape! No SLIP AT ALL!

12. Rhino

Another giraffe cape, IN THE SAME 400 gal PICKLE, THE SAME CONTAINER, AT THE SAME TIME! So who is to blame here?

13. Rhino

Another pic of the BAD giraffe.

14. Rhino

On the lighter side, a tiger.

15. Rhino

Civet ear!

16. Rhino

Yall have a good evening, and guess what animal, this is a shot of. Only part of the hide, couldnt make it too easy. OK, Dennis, you can play. :'(

17. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Bongo :p

18. Rhino

That didnt take long, B-N-B! How is the river-walk looking these days? Been a while since I've been to Dick's!

19. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Three of 15

OS, thanks for this. I do ALOT of tanning (not as much as you) and its nice to see this stuff is not just stuff I have to deal with. I had a shipment of capes that were shot in New Zealand. Most had NO eye lids and HUGE cuts all over them. The taxidermist that sent them to me never even looked at them before he shipped them out. I had to send pics of the capes BEFORE I tanned them to show the condition of them. I tan alot of stuff for him and he had been doing taxidermy for along time. Alot of the mistakes are not the taxidermists fault, its the skinners and outfitters. Alor ARE the taxidermists fault. Being a taxidermist also, I can not help but wonder what the taxi was thinking.

Tannerys get most of the blame and not much of the credit. Its not really fair, but thats what we get paid for.

20. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

I'm not quite sure. I haven't been to the walk in a while myself. But I do remember stoppin' in at D's when I was there. ::)