1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Tannery's Eye View- Day Nine of Nine-Im DONE!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Three of 15

Shaver it's still there and Dick's still has plenty of COLD BEER!

2. dozier

dozier New Member

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Three of 15

It looks like there's alot of lazy or in expirienced customers sorry you have to deal with that. Thank god for tannery's. They make my life easier.

3. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Three of 15

Thanks for sharing the pictures OS........................

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Four of 15

Tic, NEW ZEALAND, IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST, at prepping skins, from what I have seen. They have Africa, Wayyyy beat!

It seems to be a stag thing? Half the time, they dont even bother turning the ears? You can bet the ranch, they are not going to bother turning anything else!

I rejected, 5, out 7 stag capes, from one customer, last week. Total Junk! Harvested, out of country. Slipping, nothing turned, and the ears were shreaded like a cheer-leaders pom-poms!

5. Rhino

I can believe it? I have nothing to show, for day four! Took the camera, but it stayed in its case.

All skins worked on today, were prepped VERY nice. Alot of African, was punched in, also, with no damages, to speak of.

It was a VERY good day, for the Taxidermist, the tannery, and last, but not least, THE HUNTER!

I might post a couple of pictures, of some kind, later, just so yall dont think Im being lazy! 8)

6. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

is there particular outfitters that you find that are worse about sending you this crap?
    Maybe someone needs to start a skinning and prepping service at these places.

7. Rhino

A few pictures. Maybe something you have never seen before? Paddle vats. Steam lines, in white. Everything is better when warm!

8. Rhino

Dry side drums, and cages, with vacuum systems, to prevent sawdust explosions.

9. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Thanx OS...........That's interesting..............

10. Rhino

These, are called kickers. They physically POUND oil, into skins, to increase stretch, and softness.

11. Rhino

Bins of African, waiting to be put into process.

Im gonna go feed my LARGE self now. Have a good night!

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Always wondered what those kickers look like.
    Thanks.

13. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Four of 15

Bobbie,
    I have a smaller tannery than the one OS works at. I dont think the problem is one outfitter. I think its more the location. I will use Africa for an example. The outfitters hire locals for skinners. Thay pay these guys pennies for their work. Why should the skinners give a dang about cutting a hole in some "Big Shot Great White Hunters" capes? I will hunt in Africa. Hopefully I will hunt there alot. I will promise all of yall this. If I EVER get to hunt ANYWHERE, I will do all my skinning and prep work. Just like OS is talking about, there are thousands of comming into tannerys that are junk and it usually gets blamed on the tannerys. Once in a while a tannery does mess up. Any tannery that says they never mess up is lieing. All reputable tannerys will make every effort to fix the problem to satisfy the taxidermist, if it was their fault. I have replaced capes that I really do not believe was my falut, but, I would rather replace 3 or 4 capes, than loose a good client.

14. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Looks like the Bongo turned out very well, I'd like to see it's ears ;D

15. Rhino

Moose cape, by the eye. Sometimes, I wonder, AK, etc, when it comes to giving a shite! Second pic, other eye!

16. Rhino

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Five of 15

Home tanned wolf, that I was trying to save. Guess that lysol, that it REAKED of, didnt do much good!

17. Rhino

Eland ear, still dry salted.

18. Rhino

Waterbuck ear, tore, to shite!

19. Rhino

Impala ear, almost ALL the way, torn off! Still dry salted!

20. Rhino

A little staight knife action. That cart of bison, I posted in an earlier pic, have come home to roost!

This POOR shaver, named Jordan, is thinning down the cheaks of a bison cape, to take some weight off the cape, just to be able to MANHANDLE it, on the shaving machine!