1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Tannery's Eye View- Day Nine of Nine-Im DONE!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Five of 15

A shipment that arrived today. Looks like the driver, thought he was Richard Petty! Dry salted African, broken ears, etc, good chance!

2. Rhino

A zebra hide. The cartalage on a zebra, has been mentioned before.

This zebra hide, has been hit once, on the turner machine. The lighter spots, show the cartalage that remains. The darker spots, is where the cartalage has already been removed.

Leave that stuff on a zebra, horse, or mule, and the skin will turn out hard as plywood!

3. Rhino

See yall tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel!

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I LIKE this thread.......
    Aubrey you make my life wonderful
    None of THESE GUYS ARE EVER GOING TO WANT TO DO AFRICAN SAFARI ;D
    Keep them coming ;D
    I should start a thread on how to FIX these. ;D
    Cha CHING ;D
    That's a money making CD ;D
    I CAN FIX EVERYONE OF THOSE EARS ;D
    Co Mon give me something tough
    I do see the wolf, he'd be hard pressed to fix
    But the rest I can handle.

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Dennis some secrets are best left to yourself those who know, ;) you know what I mean job security. ;D

6. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Five of 15

Some redneck must have loaded that semi trailer.

For that poor wolf hide just use some of that stuff in the spray can they used for balding hair a few years back. ;D

7. *

I remember that stuff
    RONCO instant hair ;D
    Paint and flocking in a spray paint can. ;D
    Used to work great on bears, I loved it.. ;D

8. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Five of 15

Must have been a Yankee Redneck.

9. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Looks like you really liked it Dennis. But I think you used more than the recommended dosage on your own scalp!

10. *

Dang it Joe
    I thought no one could tell ;D

11. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Five of 15

I like this tread also, But i am woundering if he is going to have a picture tread of the stuff the tannery do mess up.. Dought full but i would like to see one or those treads .

12. Rhino

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Six of 15

Rich, I'm sure you would like to see one of those threads, but over the years, I have seen more Tannery bashing, on Taxidermy.Net, than I can stomach!

I already said, earlier in this thread, that tannery's are NOT perfect, and the point of this thread, is NOT to pretend otherwise.

The WHOLE point here, AS I SAID EARLIER, is to show the other side of the coin, and NOT to pass blame to the Taxidermist! NONE of us are perfect. A small point of this thread, is to point out the FACT, that no matter how hard a tannery tries, they can NOT make chicken salad, out of chicken 5hit! Truth be told, MOST Taxidermist's, are prepping their skins with great care, and I will be the FIRST to commend them for that!

Despite what some of the Taxidermist's on here, have to say about their fellow Taxi's(LOL), I see first hand, a GREAT deal of professionalism, in the industry as a whole, when it comes to skin prep. A few skins, are prepped sooo well, that they leave little for the tannery, to shave off, etc!

I posted a few pictures, of the inside of the tannery I work for, but most were nothing more than what you could see on the price list, or website. Thats about as far, as I will take that.

If I started a thread, showing tannery bo-bo's, and only posted 1 or 2 pictures a day, out of hundreds of skins being processed, would you believe me? I will answer that for you. Heck no! You would think I was lieing!

We cant win for losing? I show pictures, of jacked-up skins, still dry salted, and your scepticism still points a bad finger at the tannery?

There are 1 or 2 BIG tannery's out there, that have invested hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS, into their operation. The smaller ones, might have invested less, but their WHOLE life, is tied up in their investment also. They all do what they can do, with the capital they have.

Why would any of these tannery owners, be it large or small, risk everything they have, and JUST NOT GIVE A 5HIT, by having people work for them, that don't give a 5hit?

This thread was started, out of a need to show, that every damage you see, on a skin coming back from the tannery, ain't ALWAYS the tannery! Thats all! It was NOT started, to blow smoke up anybody's ass, and try to make folks believe that tannery's are perfect!

I have NO pictures to show tonight. ALL the skins looked real good, except for a few minor things, that are not worth posting. Have a good evening, and see ya Monday!

13. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Six of 15

Tannerys Do mess up once in a while. I have. We all have. I am glad OS started this thread. I tink he is doing a great job doing what he set out to do. He isnt trying to say that tannerys are perfect. We are not.

As for the part about some of the small tannerys haveing their whole life tied up in their investment, I will be the first to agree with that. I am one of them. I will tell you this, EVERY client I get is important. EVERYONE makes a difference. Its like that for alot of small tannerys. We invest all we can back into the tannery to try to expand our business. I believe most taxidermys are like that too. Think about it like this. Remember when you first started doing taxidermy? When you got a call about mounting a deer or what ever, you were excited because you just got a new client. I bet you REALLY wanted to do a good job so they would come back right. Tannerys are no different.

Like OS said, most taxidermists do a great job. I also know alot of the guys that do not prep the cape right are pretty new and just dont know any better. I also know that alot of the problems ( especially form overseas) are the outfitters fault. So, how about we all try to get along, stop pointing fingers and make a little money? Sound good?

14. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Six of 15

old shaver . great thread. keep it coming.

15. T+T

T+T New Member

I dont know if you all remember my post about people giving a shite about their skins and the pictures i posted, http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,114396.0.html , but if Oldshaver dosent mind i will post some more. we used to fix these problems for people like turning noses lips removing tail bones from fox deet ect. but now its you get what you give

16. T+T

T+T New Member

more

17. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Very comforting I got a shipment of that african stuff coming back from the tannery this week. It was so dried out I couldnt do anything but ship it out and hope and pray. The last stuff I did was some real prize capes. I like mounting caribou too it would sure be nice to have a cape sometime that was worth the crap. I think the worst capes I ever got were from Argentina. That capybara brings back memories. I had to can that one it was beyond grease burn and couldnt be tanned. ,Mark

18. Rhino

Anyone feel free to participate!

19. Rhino

Bug damaged waterbuck cape.

20. Rhino

Impala ear.