1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Tannery's Eye View- Day Nine of Nine-Im DONE!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Six of 15

Chamois ear.

2. Rhino

FAT covered bear. But, I skinned, and fleshed that bear myself! Why did it slip?

3. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Six of 15

I cant wait to see what shows up here today.

4. Rhino

Coyote, shot with 120mm howitzer!

Despite the customer knowing it was in this shape, when it was recieved, I am still forced to REJECT this skin, while still dry salted.

This is one of those skins, that raise red flags! Joe Blow, gets his yote back 3 months later, and swears it was in perfect condition, and demands a replacement? YES, it happens!

5. Rhino

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

Waterbuck cape mutilated. Some of the brisket, is actually GONE!

6. Rhino

XL Blk bear, FROM HELL!

7. Rhino

Leopard from earlier in this thread. Now tanned.

8. Rhino

Another warthog cape. Ears ate out from acid rot. The thinner areas always go first, after rehydration.

The second photo, shows the brisket.

9. Rhino

Brisket.

10. Rhino

Is anybody tired of this yet? Have I proved my point, or do I need to keep going?

I will be glad to go the 15 days, but, my point has been proven, to me?

11. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

I am enjoying this. Please continue for the next ten years. I love this stuff. It makes me wonder how some of the mounts come out as good as they do. Thanks for doing this.

12. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Keep going Aubrey, we don't get to see this stuff like you do. :D ;)

13. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

only 8 more to go dont stop now. :D

14. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

You certainly proved your point as I knew you would. You arent the only one who gets stuff that makes you scratch your head & wonder why. I wouldnt waste any more time showing this junk, but its your time.LOL

15. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

That waterbuck cape looks like it was hacked up on purpose.

16. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

I think hunters should take their taxi's with them when they go to africa or other far flung places. That way alot of those capes wouldn't be junk right from the get go. Now I realize there are some taxi's out there that don't do a very good job with the prep, but it's gotta be a step up ::)

I think the tanneries in the states would ban together and take some measures to help curb some of these problems, or is that just absurd? :mad:

17. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

Like OS said, MOST taxidermists do a very good job preping capes for tannerys. Alot of the ones that dont simply do not know any better. Some are new to taxidermy. There are a few taxidermists that do not care. These are the same ones that turn out chitty work. Plus, alot of the pics that OS is showing have nothing to do with the taxidermists. ALOT of those pics are for pore skinners, bad packageing, and poor handleing. The whole point of this post is to show that ALOT of the problems like this stuff are not the tannerys fault, even though we get alot of the blame fot it. We all have had capes that came in all jacked up. Every tannery has messed a few capes up too. Every taxidermist has had guys bring in a deer that he shot 4 days earlier and either couldnt find it or drove around with it in their truck for days. You just have to wonder what the hell they were thinking.

I am enjoying this post. It makes me feel good to know that I am not the only one getting stuff like this. I think OS is doing a great job. I also like the pics of the tannery.

18. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

Nice Show! Keep it up. I got a NA taxidermist that doesn't prep his eyes at all... Just skins and salts them... Nasty...

19. Rhino

I gotta take a breather from this!

I went off and left my camera at home today. Almost a $600.00 camera, that I am exposing to salt, acid, etc. Trying to keep it clean, but its tuff! Could have had some great Afri-crapp pics today, of all days!

I will post some more pics, next Wednesday, well after the holiday.

Ya ll have a good Easter, and don't forget, "It ain't about colored eggs, and overgrown rabbits"!

20. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Holy hell Aubrey! How do you get through the day with all that garbage? Not only do you have to tan all that crap but we gotta try and mount it when it comes back. That is just unreal. I just got my african hides back and luckily only 1 with a blown out ear on a Sable. I tanned my own african (some of it and let me tell you the tanneries earn their money on it. Cape buffalos are for the birds. Keep this going its my favorite post in a long time,Mark