1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Tannery's Eye View- Day Nine of Nine-Im DONE!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

I was helping to go through the salted african skins that we are going to have on our sale next week and I believe Aubrey would love to tan these hides most all have near perfect ears and all well cared for. I guess It helps when one of the best Taxidermist in the country is also the hunter and giving the skinners proper instruction.

2. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

OLD SHAVER WHERE ARE YOU????????????????????????????? Dude you cant leave us hanging like this.

3. Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

I think he is out of town for Easter. ;)

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Seven of 15

Unlike taxidermists who for some stupid reason work 7 days a week and don't take holidays....
    Aubry is much SMARTER than most of us. ;D

5. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Re: A Tannery's Eye View- Day Eight of 15

I dont know about that smarter thing, Dennis? :-\ Went to see my folks in Texas. I try to fly down there, at least every 6 months or so.

Here is a steinbok cape, ate VERY badly from acid rot. Quite a few countries in Africa, REQUIRE skins, to be dipped in a formic acid solution, prior to drying, and folding, WITHOUT NEUTRALISING!

A few months pass, from the time of this STUPID practice, to the time to tan, and this is what happens, when these skins hit water. Thin skins, and thin parts of skins, such as ears, are hit the worst.

6. Rhino

A muledeer eye, cut to heck. Some lid missing!

7. Rhino

A hacked up zebra face.

8. Rhino

Acid rot on leopard feet.

9. Rhino

Ear, on same leopard.

10. Rhino

A wildebeeste cape, with ears acid rotted to heck, also with slippage! Had to be rejected.

It is a crying shame, that the Hunter spent no telling what, to harvest this animal, and was left with this!

11. Rhino

On a lighter note, anybody ever seen one of these? A white lion. Well, almost white? Please excuse all the fleshings on the floor. Normal colored lion to the right. Also a female lion to the far left, and a Mtn lion, beside that.

12. Rhino

An axis deer cape. One edge being held, shows, its around a 1/2 inch thick. Should have been thinned more!

The other side, shows where it slipped, in the same area, because it WAS TOO THICK, for the salt, to do its thing!

13. Rhino

Thats about it for today. Doing another elephant cape tomorrow. Will post picks.

14. Rhino

Ken, you ain't gonna hurt my feelings, if you delete this thread, in a day or two. It is taking up alot of valuable space. Thanks for the site!

This first photo is a real HOOT!

Someone mentioned, in another thread, that African skins, are always folded, with the head to the inside of the folds, SO THERE IS NO WAY, FOR THE EARS TO BE DAMAGED IN TRANSIT! ???

This is a folded, DRY SALTED, cape buffalo cape, folded almost square, EXCEPT FOR THE TWO EARS STICKING UP, harder than Chinese arithmetic!

15. Rhino

This is a photo of the side of the mouth, on a lifesize stone sheep.

16. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Chinese arithmatic!!!ROTFLMAO

17. Rhino

This is a photo of the elephant cape, I mentioned yesterday.

Photos were e-mailed to the Taxidermist, to see if he even wants to try to mount this cape. It was skinned out like a jigsaw puzzle! I guess it depends on how much extra money HIS customer wants to spend, to fix this cluster you know what!

The tanning bill alone, brings this skin to a halt, in the process, until written conformation to proceed, is recieved.

I will post a couple more picks of this elephant.

18. Rhino

Another.

19. Rhino

Last. I was about 20 feet up in the air, in a fork lift basket, when I took a couple of these.

A yote, also.

20. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I just caught up on this thread. You mentioned a few pages back about some taxidermists prepping their skins too well. Does that cause problems?