1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Tannery's Eye View- Day Nine of Nine-Im DONE!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I'm not going to be posting any more photos, in this thread. MY POINT HAS BEEN PROVED! :-*

My only point with this thread, was to show YOU, as Taxidermists, that the horror stories, some folks like to tell about tannery's, ain't always true.

Yes, tannery's screw up sometimes, but there are MANY good tannery's out there, that actually do CARE about your skins, and TRY TO DO THEIR BEST, EVERY SINGLE DAY, THEY SHOW UP FOR WORK! And last but not least, WE ALL AINT ILLEGAL ALIENS, that could care less, about your skins, as stated in another thread.

I will close with this.

If anybody out there is actually STUPID enough, to believe, that, "tannery's suck", then why are there so many tannery's out there, that have been in business for more than 10-30 years? Did all the Taxidermists sending them skins, fall off the back of a turnip truck? NO! Some of the smaller tannery's out there, might also join these ranks, someday?

Its all in the owner. Demand excellence , and settle for nothing less!

2. Rhino

Mainly on bears, Becky.

3. STEEERIKE!!!!!!!!!

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Brushy your a smart axe.

5. There ya go ;) LMWBO

6. "On a lighter note, anybody ever seen one of these? A white lion. Well, almost white?"

Here's one! Got a bunch of pictures.

From the Timbavaldi Reserve, South Africa

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Becky, I'm one of those guys that Aubrey is talking about. He sometimes hollers at me, hurting my tender feelings about how close I get the bears on my fleshing wheel. I do tend to get carried away at times I guess.

That looks similar to a Cape I sent them last year. Someone else questioned me about a similar remark that I "couldn't have seen" something on an African hide because "they never fold them that way". Oh, well, now I got proof that sometimes "never" ain't as long as you sometimes think it is.

BTW, Thanks Aubrey. Very interesting thread.

8. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Mike, That lion looks like hes gonna cry or something. The picture makes him look like he has no pupils. Hes cool looking nonetheless. Thanks for the Pictures Aubrey very eye opening. And to George dont feel bad I used to get chewed for overfleshing also., Mark

9. Thanks for the pics OS. Looks like the same pics that used to be in Breakthrough Magazine with the exception of the kickers and dry side drums. Slick...real slick. Got any more pics of the elevator or the rotational backlog? I was thinking about installing a webcam for taxinet readers to watch shaving in action. How about some shaving room pics? Got any pics of the "unknown code" carts?

David Patton

10. Rhino

How's it going David? I hope life is treating you well!

Slick? I don't understand? Are you referring to me making an attempt at advertising? Every tannery I have ever been in, has a kicker or two, and also sawdust drums, and a cage? In all actuality, I believe that kicker's are not a necessity, at a tannery. Hides can be made soft, without them. I just wanted to let folks see what some of a tannery's equipment, looks like.

I took ALL the photos, in this thread, MYSELF, over the last 3 weeks, except for a few. I actually got chastised a little, for posting photos of the inside of my Employers operation! I think his words were, "have your fun, but don't be posting photos of my equipment!" The photos you are refering to were taken by ME, in preperation for a seminar I was doing, at the NTA convention, last summer. To my knowledge, NONE, have ever been in a magazine.

I have had 3 different Pm's from different tannery's, thanking me for this thread. They didn't seem to be bothered by any of my photos? I'm not saying you were, but that is how I am reading your remark. Maybe I'm wrong?

If I stepped on your toes, or anybody Else's, I apologize. That was not my intention. I honestly thought, that you, and every other tanning operation, could read through the competition thing, and see this thread as a benefit to us all?

11. Larry B

Larry B New Member

I thought it was great. I don't think you need any promotion anyhow. I sure didn't take this thread as a self promotion/advertisement, just a little defensive play for all the tannery bashing and blaming that occurs.

12. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

OS what a great job you did by showing the folks out here that tanneries are not always the culprit. 99.99% of the time it's outside help that creates a havoc for the tannery.
    I can understand where you come from. LOL As we all know I tan all my own hides plus I do for others. I do see and have to work on crap that was never taken care of the right way and then they have the nerve to say I'm a taxidermist. LOL
    Again great work!

13. Here he is again, right after dinner.
    The seeming lack of pupils is due to the heavy brow/lids and the bright sunlight and resulting shadow; actually pretty common look
    for big cats.
    His name is Igor.

14. I thought thepictures of the whole operation was slick. If you saw my tannery, I have a hard time just keeping carts out of the way. Ya'll have a nice clean facility. I like that and thought it was slick. That is what I meant.

I hope life is good for you,
    David

15. Rhino

My Bad. Have a good one! 8)

16. RDA

RDA Active Member

Oldshaver~~excellent thread.......Yes, ive been known to whine about tannerys from time to time,,,BUT I would not want your job, and am thankfull to have reputable tanneries out there to take care of us dermists.... ;)

17. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

OS why don't you start your own business, Looks like there is a real opportunity in Africa and New Zealand for a professional prepping and shipping service. Has your boss ever considered hooking up the other end of the supply chain with the outfitters and providing qualified skinners to the outfitters in return for a direct line for their business.

Just a thought

Jeff

18. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Oldshaver, I hope my prep jobs are ok. LOL- did just send a mule deer cape in that the hunter skinned the head on, so its a little rough ( but nowhere near as bad as some of that stuff you posted!).

I will say, the wet tanned deer capes you guys do are always wonderful to work with.

19. Scherzer

Scherzer New Member

Old Shaver, What tannery do you work at?