1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I know that someone is going to call me an Idiot.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Red, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Red

Red New Member

I salt all of my capes and then throw them in a ten by twelve room that is about 68 degrees. Man it dries my deer hides out in about three days. This is where my brain fart took place. I put two hides flat out on the floor to let them partially dry over night fully intending on folding them the next day for shipping. That didn't happen; therefore, I have two hides that are spread eagle on the floor and are dryer than flour out of the bag and harder than a steak left on the grill for three hours on high. I want to know if I can safely wet one part down to fold same, or do I take one for the team and pay the extra shipping to the tannery? Thanks!

2. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

I would say rehydrate and resalt.

3. paul e

paul e New Member

Red
    just curious
    did you use stop-rot
    the reason im asking is
    when i first started using it
    it caught me off guard at how fast they dried
    i wasn't used to it down here in humid Louisiana
    somedays they wouldn't seem to dry at all
    now they are bone hard in three days max

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

just fold it , it will not brake, then ship it

5. Matt Richards

Matt Richards Member

Do what Laurier said, but the night before, put it somewhere humid, like in an outdoor shed on a rainy night. Salted hides pick up humidity very easily.

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Do as Laurier said, and youll be ok. I cant possibablly see how Stop-Rot would effect this situation at all. Timely prep work and salt, will always eliminate the need for additional products. Taxidermists have been prepping skins for the Tannery for decades, with nothing but salt.

7. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I might sound dumb too, but I think Id be careful folding it up, you could "break" it in spots and have lines in the cape when you go to mount it whre the hair wont lay right.

8. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

fold it step on it you will not hurt it , it's not a p3piece of wood , do not get it humid , unless you plan on rehydrate it.Just fold the dam thing , box it and send it out to the tannery.