1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finally a finished 39" Copperhead

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by jeremy, Mar 28, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Well Ill give you a sneak peak at him before the habitat is built. This was by far the hardest snake Ive had to mount, he slipped so bad that I went ahead and descaled him compleatly and did a total repaint on him. My mouths have a ways to go to catch up with Perry and Tom but you get the idea. BTW Thanks Tom for the great open mouth head. This snake had several scars on him as you can see, one real bad one behind his neck, must have been tangling with a coon or possum but he had healed up. Well here he is, what do you think...he will be counter sunk in a leaf litter habitat. Let me have it..... :eek: Oh yeah BTW before I get hammerd on a open mouth pose while he is not stricking, i picked this pose because I have seen Copperheads and Cottonmouths lay on the ground and open there mouths as a defense mechanism, I belive they do this when the feel threatend.... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Looks pretty good Jeremy! I ain't gonna knock it much because I'll be posting the 44" I mounted in a couple weeks that will have a lot of epoxy and paint on it! I can tell you one thing that isn't right. The tongue comes out under the windpipe (hole) and a copperheads tongue is red with fleshy colored tips. ;)

[​IMG]

3. jeremy

LOL.... where was that reference photo when I needed it. I should be able to fix that. Dumb mistake on the wind pipe....Duhhhhh.... :D :D :D

Ill tell you that snake you have in that photo is night and day in color hues to some of the ones I was using for reference, infact very different. Wonder why?

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

It is a Southern copperhead for one. They are that color along the most southern range in the southeast. The ones we have in my area of AL look like this. I caught this one last summer not far from the house. It is more of a "Northern" copperhead color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LRB

LRB Member

Jeremy.....
    I think your mount looks great !!... :)

ML...

6. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

good looking mount. ive seen one in that pose about two days ago. scared the crap out of me but it reached the water before i could snatch him up.

7. slider

slider What do you mean I have to press 1 for english..

Great looking mount !!!!!!!!!

8. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Jeremy,I don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think copperheads threat display like that.I've handled a lot of them and never have seen it or a picture of it.It is typical of cottonmouths though and the young ones look like copperheads.Are you sure you didn't see a picture of a young cottonmouth?

Anyway,I still like the mount.

9. jeremy

Thanks Jim, ya I may be screwed up on that idea. I lost the black tounge on him and Im gonna do a repaint on it to lighten up the yellow/orange to a orange/tan. I went with a open mouth because I got a the open mouth repro from Tom and had already ordered that form for it. No bigge im gonna put it in a leaf litter base and put it up for sale, in case any one is interested in it. I know it will sell like wildfire on ebay.

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I beg the differ! Yes they do down south Jim. Usually it's a smaller specimen 20 - 24" that will get very agitated when provoked. Like out in the middle of a dirt road where they have no chance at cover. Copperheads are one species I've had many encounters with over the years and I know the difference between a young cottonmouth and a copperhead at a glance. ;) :) The larger ones just seem to want to find a way to get away while those smaller ones really raise some hell from my experiences. ;)

11. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I won't question you Perry if you've seen that.I just never have.I'm 59 and caught my first copperheads when I was 13,much to my parent's dismay.So I have handled a lot of them,kept some,raised litters etc..Most of those were Northerns but have handled a few Southerns too.I have seen them open their mouth to stretch and adjust it,seen them get pretty snappy when pinned,but have never seen one "gape" like a cottonmouth,nor have I read of it or seen a picture.If you ever get a picture,I'd love to see it.

12. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I've never seen one either.........

yes they re-adjust their jaws from time to time, but I've never seen one open their mouth in an aggressive manner with fangs exposed.

Now I have seen Bullsnakes and Sonoran Gopher snakes hiss in a defensive posture so bad that their mouths are open and their lower jaw is crooked like someone just punched them LOL

Kerby...