1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This is a first for me

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dawg1025, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Got a huge 16pt wt from Kentucky in last month. Just thawed it out and found a hand sized spot in the middle of the neck that was rubbed raw. Called the client and asked what was up with that, and he said that he was alone hunting and couldn't get the deer on the tailgate. SO HE DRUG HIM BACK TO THE CAMP. There was also a raw spot on one ear. Now I have cut out small spots like that and repaired, but nothing to this scale. I did tell the client that it would cost him extra if I could repair it. Any advice on repairs. A new cape would cost a lot. Behind the ear is 23 inches. 3 inches behind that is 26 inches. Help please. :-\

2. Bob Katz

Bob Katz Lil One- my bestest girlfriend

Try putting the word out on WANTED, some one may have a different hide in thier freezer. Just as long as you have the measurements theres still hope for a new hide.

3. Is that over the hair? You may lose a little in the neck if you try to cut it out, but you can cut it out and sew up. That's a big bodied deer for Kentucky if that is meat measurements.

4. DS, that is over the hair. I haven't ordered my form yet just incase I have to measure after repairs. I will post a pic of this beast.

5. You will lose 2 in or more when you measure the meat/skin side of the hide. I would take measurements after the hide is tanned and order that form, you may allready know that. Sounds like a great deer. :)

6. shammy

shammy New Member

I would call the customer and give him the option of a new cape. He would pay for the cape. If you repair his cape charge him a profitable price. Why would you drag a deer that you are going to have mounted anyway? Some people just look at antlers. They wouldn't know a good mount from a bad one, and some are to cheap to pay for a quality mount.If you repair the cape and he doesn't like it, then you have another problem. Remember your name will be attached to that mount. Let him make that decision. Good quality work + Good cape = Good mount and a happy customer. Good Luck Shammy

7. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Get a replacement cape. You are setting yourself up for the old "thats not my cape" deal that ignorant customers pull. Just tell him that his mistake just cost him $175.00 you should be able to get a 21" cape for less than that and cover shipping as well and even make a buck or two. He will be happier in a long run and you won't have to deal with the BS.

8. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Good advice Jason. It sounded like HE was going to buy the cape by the "tone" of the post. Ignorance should hurt.