1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best way to ship a deer head

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by OutdoorCreations, Mar 30, 2009.

1. I need to ship a deer head to a guy and I was just wondering how everybody else packages up thier deer heads for shipment to keep them safe.

2. where are you shipping across town or State across the country or out ???

3. ed150

ed150 deer city time

cut a 2x4 to put between the antlers for support,wrap nose with padding and around the ears ,pack box with carpet padding and box up,duct tape the out side of box good and ship,i have sent mounts all the way to alaska with no problems,the best way would be to make a plywood box for shipping,can get pretty pricey

4. Here is what I do. You can cover your frame by using a pre-existing box as I did here or by stapleing cardboard or plywood to it.

Always "INSURE" anything you ship!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you.

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Thats the same way we do ours and a lot of our work is crated and shipped.

6. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

As someone who has just left the trucking industry I have to agree with Lone Wolf. I will add that it doesn't hurt to go with heavier wood, and a bigger piece of plywood attaching it to back board. Printing in big letters that they are taxidermy items, and if need be that they must remain upright will also help. Securing it with in the crate is the most important part. Lots of words like FRAGILE and THIS END UP have all been over played and may be over looked. Putting something different on the outside may catch their eye more than not. Believe it or not, the folks handling the stuff really don't want it to get damaged any more than you, unless they are a complete idiot to begin with. It probably wouldn't hurt to wrap the crate in plastic before boxing it. This will help if the trailer it is loaded on isn't as weather proof as it should be, or another shipment containing liquid isn't properly packaged. A lot of damages are caused by other freight in the truck.

7. gary61

gary61 Member

I have some deer that I will be shipping, how big of a box can I make and still ship it UPS? I know I can ship anything but I mean before it becomes freight. Thanks

8. Check with UPS on that Gary. Most deer sized shoulder mounts, with the exception of really wide antlers, will go UPS. Anything larger, Caribou to Moose and of course lifesize large game, will be freight.

9. #1 headhunter

#1 headhunter New Member

I see that I am not the only one who keeps and uses those McKenzies boxes. I use to throw them away, until I realized boxes that size are hard to come by. Lonewolf has it right though.

10. akmike

akmike Member

you can ship a caribou head UPS if you do detachables. It just takes 2 boxes. from Alaska it would run between $175 and $250 that is for just shipping

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Headhunter, I too save those boxes, salted capes to tanneries, bondo mixing palets etc.. That size box pictured is $10.00 easy to buy.