1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what to look for in an air brush?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elk74, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hi all,dont know too much about airbrushes is there any thing in particular to look for in an airbrush.or any anything that i should avoid?also should i stay away from the cheaper models ?i really dont need a real high end one i reckon but i dont want to end up with a pile of junk either any sugstions would be very helpfull thankyou.

2. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    I would recommend getting a single action brush first and after you get more experience try a double action. I have a Paasche single and it works pretty well. I've used double action and I really like them. They need a little getting use to.

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I may be alone in my thinking, however, I see no sense in getting a single action and then switching to a double. Get a good Double action Iwata and learn to use it. Then you will not need to get another one. I am told that Badgers are just as good but, I have not used one. Here is the link, to where I got mine.  http://www.merriartist.com/Iwata_Eclipse_Airbrush_p/i-ecl-2001.htm and all for $100.00 shipped.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I got a single action Badger and learned on it. Then I got a double action Badger and wished I had learned on it, instead of the single.

5. Personally I like the double action Pascche. If you are only doing mammals, a single action is fine. If you plan on doing fish, I think a double action is a must. IMO

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Actually a single works just fine for fish. But the double gives you an advantage of more control.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There is no "getting use to" on a double action, if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, ride a bike, or breath, you can operate a double action in two minutes right out of the box.
    When you started riding a bike, did you care what color it was? No, you got on it and learned. The same with a double action, if thats your first airbrush, you will learn to use it, you have to learn how to use a single action too, might as well have the better features.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

T I'm sorry, but that is not true. It takes time to change from one to the other.

9. double................ ;D

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

If you ever plan to use a double, I'd go ahead and start with that otherwise you'll have to start all over learning.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yea, here is how much time it takes, set the single down, pick up the double. Thats it. Piece of cake.
    How much effort does it take for your brain to tell your finger to push down and pull back at the same time?
    I have had some tough boogers give my fingers more trouble then a double action brush ever did.

12. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I don't think so Redwolf. I picked up a dbl. Action at my buddies shop and was painting my fish with it with no problem. So maybe it's just that some will just take longer to master.

13. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

14. I think I would be very confused going from a double to a single. But like I said before it's not so much the airbrush as it is the artist who is using it and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE that's what it takes............. ;D

15. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

There is so much more that should go into the choice of an airbrush than just selecting between a single or double action. Yes, the switch between them can be a bit frustrating, but when you get the hang of a double, it's more than worth it. I'd never go back to a single action brush, unless I was forced to by arthritis. TIP SIZE is everything when talking about the capabilities of an airbrush. If you're looking for a detail airbrush you should be looking at something with a .20mm tip, but remember a tip of that size is not great in broad coverage and if you paint a lot of big muskies it will take time(or a second airbrush). Tip size of .30-.35mm can do a fair job of detail work, if you get your paint just right and work at it and it will handle the broad coverage pretty well too. A .50mm tip is strictly a broad coverage airbrush and you will be frustrated trying to get "real" fine detailing out of it. That's from the experience of one who used to "think" he could detail with a Paasche VL with a #1 tip(.55mm). Once you experience the EASE of painting details with a fine tip airbrush you WILL become a believer.

16. thanyou all for your input . i know where there is a iwata nozzle .35mm eclipse .anyone know if that would be a decent brush? forgot to mention i do mostly shoulder mounts and some lifesize no fish as of yet but possibly in my future.thankyou again all input greatly appreciated.

17. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I use a Vega 2000 with a .35mm tip as my broad coverage airbrush. My detail airbrush is a HP-B .20mm, that I've used for over 20 years.

18. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

As for the "action" recommendation. I would recommend starting out with the double action brush. Like others have said - they aint that hard to "get used to".