1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Gloss?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Coachdog, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Coachdog

Coachdog New Member

What is the best fish gloss to use with Lifetone paints and where can I get it? The shine on my fish does not satisfy me. Thanks for the help.

2. Coat with Envirotex and rotate a quarter of a turn every 10 to 15 minutes. The fish will look like it just came out of the water.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use Ultra Clear from EpoGrip diluted about 30% with xylene and sprayed on through a #5 airbrush tip. I paint the whole fish at one time and 6 hours later it's dry to the touch. I don't handle it for 24 hours, however, just to insure there's no finger prints.

4. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Two part automotive gloss is really nice. Good Luck

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Envirotex.....Yuchhh......covers up scale detail and makes the fish look like glass, if that is what you are after. Try Gary Bowen's fish gloss from a can. No cleanup......a little pricey, but it gives a high gloss, dries quick, UV stabilizers, etc. Time is money. It saves time.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use a four to one automotive gloss. I've used them all and to me this is as good as it gets. No problems -- no surprises. No clear coat past it's shelf life (automotive products have a faster turn around in the store), no smudging or prints after it sets up (overnight best), no runs, no cracking, no nothing. To each his own but automotive clearcoat is the only way to go IMHO. And the best part of all is what you see when you first put it on is what you get. No reduction in the wet look the next day. Also not many coats needed. I get a good wet look with a flash coat and heavy coat. if you want it wetter just add another coat.

Only three minor drawbacks:

1.) Better clean your gloss gun good after you use it or you'll have to buy another one. Take your gun completely apart for cleaning. I use a $20.00 gloss gun from Wallmart. Simple to use and cleans easily.

and

2.) Don't even consider stripping the fish down after this stuff sets up. It can be done but it's a nightmare! Hard stuff -- like your automobile finish!

3.) If you decide you want another coat (doubtful) once the clear coat has set up, you should wait 48 hours before you add another one.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Could turn yellow over time too.

8. George

Be VERY CAREFUL with anything sprayed out of an aerosol can. All of them have "carriers" that are solvent based and applying too closely or too thick can obliterate your best paint job. Been there, done that.

9. I like Krylon tripplethick in spray can & in brush on form. Walmart in my area has the spraypaint but not the brush on,Hobby lobby has the brush on, at least here in Sherman,Texas they do, give it a try

10. Krylon tripplethick in spray can , it's cheap and it works.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Another downside to aerosol cans George is you don't get as much bang for your buck with the space the vehicle takes up. I've also had mysterious problems with both Gary Bowens Super Fish Gloss and Liquid Crystal in the aerosol can. Probably got a bad batch. Once I have to strip and repaint fish all over again because the clear coat let me down I never use that product again. :mad:

12. George

Cecil, I gave you another +. So now do me a favor and get rid of that silly assed picture and put one of YOU on there so we can put a face to a name instead of a goofy expression caught on camera in mid-sentence. That only shows the liberal slant on news just like the infamous one of Hillary the conservative zealots used of her looking as if she was about to implode.

BTW, your profile says that you make 12.65 postings A DAY. Is the fish business that slow or are you on vacation?

13. hford

hford New Member

I use the Table Top 2 part epoxy from Fiberglass Coatings from Tampa.Use the uv Stable this stuff is the best clearcoat I ever used. By ordering the 2gal. kit 1gal. resin 1gal. of curing agent you can save a lot of money vs. envirotex. I've used all kinds of gloss and nothing compares with it. Besides you have no mist to inhale to damage your lungs.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D

15. DaveT

DaveT "But with God all things are possible"

Cecil, Cecil, cecil... play nice

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'll play nice if George plays nice. Besides he said he didn't like my previous on anyway. ;D ;D ;D

17. DaveT

DaveT "But with God all things are possible"

Cecil, why not let your actions be based on you instead of how others "play"

18. George

Cecil, I WAS playing nice. I gave you a +, what else do you want.

BTW, that's a very nice touch in your avatar. George Bush on the left, you on the right - just where you belong. LMAO ;D ;D ;D

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D

20. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

Cecil; Lets not forget that automotive polyurethane if applied completely over the fish. One can literally wash the smoke and grease of a fish years later. I had one that hung in a restaurant for 7 years. In the smoking section. I sprayed it with Clorox Clean Up, and hosed it off. Looked like new again. I'll give Cecil a Karma for that post.