1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dp for life size racoon?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elk74, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ive never used dp for anything and was wondering about using it for a racoon .will there be any extra shrinkage or any other negative effects or reasons not to use it ,also are there any precausions to keep in mind .i usually get everything tanned proffesionally other than some tanning i have done with liqua tan. thankyou for any advice.

2. ed150

ed150 deer city time

lots of extra shrinkage and lots of problems,tann it.of course my opinion only

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I sure wouldnt. Theyre so greasy in fat as it is, Id pickle and degrease, then tan. Try krowtann, but no dp for that job...

4. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

I DP a coon 4 years ago when I first started, and it still looks like I mounted it today. But been useing Krowtan for the last 2 years, and tanned a coon this year and I seen a big diffrense. It is just a better way to go on a coon.

5. ya i was just curios.i mounted one a few years ago that id sent out for tanning and it worked out very well.still looks good.i have some liqua-tan that im using on a deer i may try it on the coon should work out if i use a good degreaser. thanks to all that responded

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I DP them along with muskrats, otters, foxes, and coyotes. Now Bill is certainly correct on the grease and you MUST wash the hide with a good degreaser. Just don't let it soak. After degreasing it, wash it with a capful of Downey and then tumble it in corncob grit. EVERY HIDE SHRINKS. DP, you know going in that it's going to but on a coon, ask yourself "where's the hide going to go if it shrinks?" Just gets tight around the form. I have a customer nearby with a coyote treeing a small coon on top of a fencepost. It was mounted 25 years ago and it still looks just as bad as it did the day I mounted it.

7. I totally agree with George on this one. I DP all my small animals with good results. A lot of the small animals that I have seen needed more time spent on detailing the face and head! Use a good Adhesive! I am doing a fox this weekend.
    ;)