1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann question for dry hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Sea Wolf, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ok, I read the directions for Krowtann online and a lot of folks swear by it. I'm debating ordering some and some Stop-Rot for good measure. I do not want to have a hide to mount as the end result? My goal is to have a soft tanned, dry hide for a specimen/classroom study. Will the instructions for Krowtann as is be sufficient or are there a few more steps that need to be taken for a good end result? There is no mention of oiling in the directions the way I did with EZ-100. I'd like to have everything on hand before I start and not discover I need something else halfway into the process. Thanks :)

2. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Just wondering? If you have used EZ-100, why not keep using it? We use EZ-100 for all our dry tans and the end result is very good. I have used krowtann for a mount but don't think I would even try it for a dry tan. If you must, use krow oil.

3. paul e

paul e New Member

joe just curious
    what was it that turned you off on the Krowtann
    i have used ez100
    dont have anything bad to say about it
    after Rick Carter endorsed it so strongly
    i gave it another look
    i find it works very well

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

ez-100 for over 10 years on all skins. And I usedLutan for 25 years before.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

krowtann is not the best for soft skins like deer - lutanf is much better 0 - if you are going to soft tan something that is coyote or smaller then kt (with oil) works great

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

These will be coyote skins mostly. Maybe a few fox. I still have your emails, Terryr .. Due to holidays and a sick pup, a lot of things got put on the back burner. If I pick up another road killed yote I might try to work with the Krowtann on a small batch, itty bitty fox included. I'm out of most of all my supplies for the EZ-100 and so many folks seemed to like the Krowtann I was curious.