1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

freak trout

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by animalxii, Apr 1, 2009.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

If you have photos of the actual fish next to it, (in your display room) you should be fine. But as a standalone or taking it to shows? You definitely could do more harm in these scenarios. I would spend my time creating many display specimens of NORMAL species that most people will be paying to have you do. Although something like this is cool and would be fun to do, it really serves no purpose other than that...

2. FishArt you know people get things mounted for many reasons and this is for sure a great fish to mount. I do many fish that are not perfect examples of a certain specimen. Some get a fish mounted because it's their first one. Or to remember a vacation or special time when they caught the fish. Or maybe it just had unusual coloring. I have done some mounts for people because of deformities as well because it is a once in a lifetime catch. As Speckled Trout said as long as you have good representation of your work or a picture of the fish I would be happy to show my customers. Would be a great conversation piece anywhere you hang it. Plus I would hope someone would have more than one fish in their display room. I would also consider taking it to a show............ Why not? as long as you can show the judge pictures of it I don't think it would matter as long as your work is good.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

No way would I take it to a show. Think about how many potential customers walk by w/o stopping and possibly SEEING the photo of the original fish. You would get some that would stop and take a closer look, but I can do that and get their attention using my mouth - lol! Sorry, don't agree here. It's one thing having it in your display room where you already have the customer sold on you and you'll have time to explain - a great conversation piece. But, no freaks at a show. After all, its not a freak show - lol!

4. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

The tail looks like a big tail of a fancy guppy.

5. animalxii

animalxii New Member

if we get it done in time and it turns out nice we are definatly taking to our show, with a bunch of photos to back it up. not because its a freak but because were going to make it a kick ass mount :D

6. I've seen rainbows w/ that same defect come out of lake Ontario, (genetic inbreeding I believe).Where did that one come from??

7. animalxii

animalxii New Member

yup...lake ontario. or at least a stream connected to it if i remember correctly. thats weird.

8. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

THESE RAINBOWS OF THE GREAT LAKE REGION ARE NOT THAT RARE AS MANY ANGLERS FISHING FOR STEELHEAD CATCH THIS FIN ENLAREMENT TYPE A FEW EACH YEAR.

9. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

We got one a few years ago from the Great Lakes, north east area of Ohio. We have mounted over 30,000 in the 47 years of being in business, and this is the only one we ever got in.

10. 30,000...and I thought I was over worked....WOW!
    As for displaying that fish, I agree with Marty 100 percent. I would NEVER want to show that fish to the public. It only takes one misled customer to cost you work and marty is in the biz to make a living not show a freak fish that may or may not trip our triggers on here.
    I get clients offering to let me display fish with crazy colorations or nontypical looks and I explain to them...NO WAY. it's too easy for people to get the story behind the fish screwed up. I would NEVER take the chance that a passerby who does not understand a fish to be a freak, passing on bad feedback about work I've done.
    In fact, I even make it a point to NOT display with the BIG fish we all like to see. my fear is, this now becomes the pinnacle the perspective client would shoot for, thereby passing up a respectable fish for mounting...waiting for a giant freakish size fish they see in my display. It's not the giant or freak fish the working taxidermist makes his living off of. It's the respectable fish. At least that's been MY experience.
    It's all about perception and that crazy trout would have NO place in my show room or public display.
    The interesting thing about this industry is, everyone gets to run their own show. To each his own I guess.

11. It's a cross between a bow and a tank Fancy Guppy.