1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for Ozark Woods re: Krowtann and Cargill salt

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by livbucks, Jan 14, 2007.

1. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm about to use Krowtann for the first time. I have some Cargill "Top Flow" salt with "yellow prussiate of Soda" in it, I think it's to prevent clumping. Is it OK to use this in Krowtann? The "soda" word is what's worrying me. I surely don't want to neutralize the tan, if that's what is gonna happen. I used it with a Safetee acid pickle before and it seemed OK, although I must admit that I never checked the ph.
    I am also going to use Stop Rot on it, which should make Glen Conley, and that other guy here happy.
    Thanks up front.

2. ozarkwoods

ozarkwoods Guest

In most cases it may be OK, but mixing with other chemicals either in your water or added in other ways that may cause ill effects. Try it first with a scrap piece of hide to be sure since you dont know the exact amount mixed in it. Its always best to test with a scrap piece first before useing when extra chemicals are introduced into the mix. If you want to be totaly safe you should use pure salt. If not available in your area we sell pure salt 50 lb box for $8.95.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Salt is too cheap to risk it...use the yellow salt for cows, goats sheep, or deer supplementation and buy white salt for taxidermy.

4. livbucks

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

5. livbucks

BTW....It says to use Krowtann in a well ventilated area. My wife is very affected by smells, so I thought I would get an idea of the smell I could expect from Krowtann. I took off the lid and tried to get a slight whiff. I didn't smell anything so I took a little more of a whiff and BAM! The shock to my sinuses almost knocked me over. There was no smell but it felt like an electric shock to my nose. I know I was stupid to do this but my wife drives me crazy with smells, so I wanted to get an idea of what I could expect. Curiosity killed both the cat and me it seems. Dumb dumb dumb.
    I hope that when I dilute the stuff that it won't be so bad. I'm using it in my garage and with a lid on the container so it should be fairly unnoticeable. I guess opening the garage door when lifting the lid would be a good idea.
    Learn from my mistakes and don't even attempt to sample the stuff with your nose people.
    Like I said....DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!
    I'll be ok. It was a couple hours ago and I feel OK now. The pain didn't last long. :-\

6. Yellow Pur does not make the salt yellow, yellow salt contyains SULPHER.

I use a stock salt that contains "yellow prussiate of Soda" and have not found it to effect the Krowtann in anyway.

I have found that an "Iffy" hide" if its not slipping as you skin it you can get it into the Krowtann the KT will set the hair.

You really dont need Stop Rot in the Krowtann.

How ever a bit on fox ear "STOP ROT" or coyote ears seems to help with less hair sheading.

As with anything I am sure enough Stop Rot would effect the KROWTANN. As mentioned give it a try on scrap and see if thats the way you want to go.

7. paul e

paul e New Member

livbucks
    you can use stop-rot up front by applying to ears especially
    and as directed to skin
    let it work an hour and do its thing
    but
    dont add any to the krowtann
    stoprot works great with other acids im told
    but with krowtann mixing chemicals may counteract each other
    now i ALWAYS USE STOP-ROT UP FRONT
    and ive done plenty with the krowtann after the first application and the hour wait
    ive not had any ill effects
    the katrina buck was treated up front with stoprot and tanned with krowtann
    proof is in the pudding

8. livbucks

Thanks all.
    I have all this salt (with prussiate of soda) so I really want to use it up.
    Silly silly people, though. I wasn't saying I was going to dump Stop Rot in the Krowtann, just that I was going to use it when I fleshed and turned etc.
    My nose is almost healed, BTW! ;D
    Note to self....don't pickle your sinuses.

9. livbucks

Yep....my salt is white, not yellow.

10. paul e

paul e New Member

glad to hear your nose is doing better
    ps if you use the stop rot up front
    youll notice a great reduction on color loss
    some almost no paint is needed
    amazing stuff

11. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    That's funny about smelling the KT. My buddy came over last night and he smells everything. Well guess what he just had to smell... Yep, a brand new bottle of Krowtann i just opened. LOL.The look was priceless. He looked like he got zapped with a cattle prod. ;D Once you dilute it, there's not really much smell at all.

12. livbucks

I noticed last night that the Stop Rot really goes a long way. It spreads easily and really flows out on the skin. For the price it is great insurance. If it was expensive I would limit using it but at the cost it is, I can't see why one wouldn't use it. I am a beginner and slow so it gives me peace of mind knowing I can really take my time.
    As a plus, I noticed that once you get it on the skin, there is no more raw flesh smell coming off the hide. The membrane does really flesh off easily like you keep saying. I'm sold on it.

13. paul e

paul e New Member

it does another thing also
    dont know how but it does
    the flies down here can be a real pain
    but i noticed after i apply stop rot they go away

14. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've used salt with yellow prussiate of soda in Krowtann without any problems. But testing it first is probably a good idea as it may have different amounts of the YP soda from one batch to another. I've also used Stop Rot on some really iffy stuff before the Krowtann, no problems there either.