1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3rd W/T shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by huntemup, Apr 3, 2009.

1. huntemup

huntemup New Member

Please critique...this is my 3rd ever mount...It also has a strong diesel fuel odor to it, any suggestions on how to get rid of that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Norste

Norste New Member

Why does it smell like diesel fuel?

3. huntemup

huntemup New Member

It came back from the tannery like that! Very strong odor!

4. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Ears look too low and droopy,nostril looks too pink ,a little too much bottum lip, and eye shape needs work. Look at good reference photos

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

To me it looks like it was painted with a hand brush. The nose is too black IMO. And your eye shape needs more work.
    But not bad for your 3rd.

6. Jason C

Jason C New Member

I dont mind the look of the ears, I get tired of the same old ear positions

7. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

Was your tannery in CA?

8. huntemup

huntemup New Member

Negative upstate NY

9. bear_country01

bear_country01 Active Member

Need to use referance . Look at the Tutorials on how to do the nose and eyes. Not bad for the 3rd

10. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

the white patch on the throat looks off

11. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

The one thing that is really bugging me is that the pupal looks to low it may be the pics but it appears to be almost siting on the low lid

12. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Not bad for your third. Work on your finishing techniques though.

On the diesel fuel thing. Put a match to his brisket area. After a fews second extinquish flames and it shouldnt smell like fuel any more. :)

13. rj9289

and remember, with the ears, top over bottom!

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I think it is just beautiful, I love it!

15. rj9289

everyone better print this thread!
    hehe ;)

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The tannery might have used a hair brightener/hair sheen product. Call them and ask.

17. huntemup

huntemup New Member

I did call them they were very nice but I did not know what the smell was and she said they use diesel as a degreaser 1 gal to 400 gal of water. She said my batch may have been a little heavy with the diesel. She said it should go away when dry. It still stinks.

And thank you for the critiques so far....C'mon though I know you guys can do better than that. Give it to me I can take it!

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Ryan were you drinking when you posted?
    I don't see the white patch problem, and you lost me with the ears thing. ???

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

The ear position takes more away from this mount than anything else. The butts needed to be moved up, the ears rotated forward, then, positioned back to match the curvature of the main beam. I don't like ears to jump out at me on mounts...they should blend in as part of the natural anatomy. We've all been where you are at this point in the ballgame. Keep at it, use reference photos on your next. On the diesel aroma, try using 1/2 oz of Skin-So-Soft diluted in 1 pint of isopropyl alcohol. Put in a mist bottle and spray the mount everyday for a few days. The alcohol may help dissapate the diesel aroma, and the SSS has a nice clean aroma.

20. diesel as a degreaser is that not oil based, or maybe bio diesel as a oil for the skin.
    at least you will get more mpg out of it... ;D