1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old painting of mine

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Harum, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Harum

Harum Active Member

I was looking through some photo albums the other day and ran across these pictures. They are of a painting from my sophomore year in college (85). The weekend assignment was to create a Trompe L'Oeil (a French term for visual deception) and this is what I came up with. I painted it in about 4 hours on the last night because, well there were other things that interested me during the weekends back then. The painting is around 15 feet, if I remember correctly (see the plug in on the wall for size) and the part of the painting that addressed the assignment is the note. I painted the note to look as though it was taped on. It worked well enough because I saw a few people walk up to the painting and try to open the note. This picture was taken at one of the many student showings I had back then. It was at this showing that I watched people try and open the note.
    This was painted before I studied color theory and it shows but it was fun for me to run across theses pictures and I wanted to share them with you guys.

-Pete

2. Harum

Harum Active Member

Close up of the note.

3. thats sweet and the note looks real for sure

4. Harum

Harum Active Member

Thanks buckrub :)

5. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

lol nice

i love trome l'oile

i had a similar assignment, i painted a pencil on the floor, up against a wall and laughed my ass off for a week while people tried to pick it up... like more that once

6. That looks really cool Pete!

I love the Ink bleed under the note.
    nice and subtle.

When you replicate an imperfection (The ink bleed) is when you really start to trick the mind.
    All too often the goal is "Perfection" the mind expects it in a man made object.
    Very cool
    thanks for sharing

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

I did something similar to this in a townhouse we owned years ago. There was a long staircase that went down into the basement - bottom of the staircase ended at the north wall, so you had to turn to go into the basement. I painted a door with a window, curtains, and an outside scene of just a yard with trees... used to crack me up when the drunks (we had some wild parties back then) would try and open the door... what was better was watching them try and LOOK out the window!!!

8. Furrtiv

Furrtiv New Member

Ah, very clever, I like it. :)