1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mystery fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by buckmaster14, Apr 4, 2009.

1. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Got 2 of these in the freezer, i have no clue what they are. both are about as long as my hand.

I am not allowed to sell them, but i believe I can gift them.... any interest, and what are they??
    old pic from last year
    [​IMG]

pic of one fish i caught today, sun was shining on the fish, sorry for the poor photo.

[​IMG]

2. Rael

Rael New Member

If I am not mistaken, they are Pumpkinseed Sunfish - pretty common in the east coast states - At least thats what we call them

3. buckmaster14

Its missising some key features of a pumpkinseed... ???

[​IMG]

4. Its a green sunfish hybrid of sorts. Either Bluegill X Green or Pumpkinseed X Green

The white trailing edges on the anal and caudal fin are a key in determining its parentage. (A green sunfish trait)
    I am leaning to Green X Pumpkinseed due to the cheek pattern.

5. Jim L

Jim L New Member

I would say Green sunfish X Pumpkinseed.

6. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

hybrid pumpkinseed , green sunfish will have a larger mouth much like a bass

7. boss400

boss400 Member

shellcracker

8. Anyone can see thats a Walleye

9. i've cought fish like that up in michigan we either call them bluegill, sunfish

10. candes06

candes06 Hunter, teacher, American.

here in NM we would call it a bluegill.

11. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Back east we just called them sun fish. They come in many colors. They are in the Blue Gill family. But I'm sure each color probably has a real name.

12. buckmaster14

I know it was some sort of a sun fish, but i was just interested in what they were.. Thanks for the help guys, im leaning towards a pumpkinseed hybrid as well.

So, i have 2 in the freezer, anyone wanna mount them ;D

13. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Send them out to a freeze dryer and practice on you're painting .
    They can be a beautiful fish when they're done rite .

14. buckmaster14

I really dont have the money for anything. If i did i would try my hand at mounting them.

Anyone want them? I might be able to get them shipped in a few weeks.

15. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

redbreast sunfish could be a cross like Josh stated

16. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I have one in my kids aquarium. We got him at a gander mountain when we bought minnows. Got him when he was 3/4 of an inch long. Now he is about 2 1/2 inches. Have no idea what it is but its not a pumpkinseed.

17. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The first pic CLEARLY has SOME Green Sunfish in it. The white on the fins is the giveaway. I'm with Josh in that it's a Green Sunfish/Hybrid of some sorts...