1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

for those of you who tan your own capes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Shawn73, Apr 5, 2009.

1. costco man

costco man New Member

I use the brain and tan mine like the indians did. I like the challenge.. LOL Doug

2. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

I prefer brain tan too.And my wife does a great job breaking the hide with her teeth. lol

3. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

i like to flesh,
    salt
    rehydrate
    degrease
    moisturize
    neutralize
    acidize(i realize thats not a REAL word)
    questionize
    sympathize
    realize
    shrink
    stretch
    lower the ph
    raise the ph
    dry
    rinse
    tan
    remove excess tan
    rinse
    stretch(like hell) oh yeah and if i didnt stretch enough i can stab myself in the chin with a hide puller trying to get it on the form....hahahah

BCAUSE DRY PERSERVATIVE IS TO EASY TO MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A REAL TAXIDERMIST......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA JUST KIDDIN AROUND!!!!

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

boxers or briefs ?

5. JRTS tanning cream.

6. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I use McKenzie.I love it.I hear guys saying no stretch.Well for starters never had a problem.It's a wet tan so you really have no worries about stretch.The cape is the size it is and that's it.It stays wet so how can it shrink?

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I like the orange glo smell of McKenzie tan. McKenzie and Liquatan along with a safe pickle are safer to handle and less noxious.

Krowtann stinks to high hell, but I use it as well. Just be careful in handling it.

They all produce good results.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Now Artie, I hate to bust your bubble so early on a Monday, but all these "shop tans" are wet tans. I tested the McKenzie tan when it first came out. I lost TWO INCHES OF GIRTH in the hide on my very first deer cape. I followed the directions clinically and measured each liquid exactly to insure fairness of testing. IT STILL SHRUNK.

ALL HIDE SHRINK in the pickle. That's why they shave so well because the skin is contracted and SEEMS thicker than it actually is. Once neutralized, the hide relaxes and goes back to its normal state but much thinner at that point.

I know many people who use it with no problems. I just wasn't one of them and I honestly don't expect I ever will be. Once bitten, twice shy. I can see me doing a customers 24 inch necked cape in it and ending up with a 20 inch cape. Just won't ever trust it for that. Sorry.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I thought I liked the McKen tan, and still have a half gallon, but use it on non critical stuff like flat hides that need broken.

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I have some too T you can have it if you want it.

11. JRTS on heavy hides
    Krow on the light

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Huh? you use a surface tan on heavy hides? Isn't that kind of Dha?

13. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Pressure tanner with the aluminum sulfate crystals, add tanning oil to batch after shaving, wash, spin, freeze.

14. No not kinda Dha, its what works for me. I've never had good luck with the jrts on small game for some reason, so I just krow them. Its what works for me! :)

15. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

krowtan as well

16. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

EZ-100 on about 90% and Liqua tan on the remainder.. I have a couple squirrels, I will be doing one in EZ-100 and the other for the first time in DA..

Hoytman

17. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

That's too bad George.I've never had that happen in fact I had a cape stretch out an inch and a half bigger than it was the first time I used it.Your right they all pulp up in the pickle but no way do you loose two inches or more after that tan.If so the person isn't shaving the cape down properly.

18. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

krowtan for me it get sit done and works for me

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I probably don't know how to shave a hide.

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

When you say shave, do you mean remove the hair? ::)