1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What else can you use to soak the turkey other than gas ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by boarman1, Apr 6, 2009.

1. boarman1

boarman1 New Member

I wanted to find out what I can use to soak a turkey other than using Gas. I hate the smell of Gas really bad and I just want to know if any of you have found a product that works as good as Gas .

2. full fan

full fan New Member

Dawn& water.. why do you need any thing more??? ::) Lot cheaper that the "GAS" & better for your health. ;D
    Just thought.... a feather is a lot like are hair, I for one sure as [email protected]% wouldent put GAS on what "little" hair i have left. ??? :eek: :-\

3. cheapguy

cheapguy New Member

Turkeys really are not that greasy to need gas on them. Save the gas for the waterfowl. Dawn and water should be enough.

4. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

I also add about 1/2 cup of powdered Tide to my 1st wash water-it has water softeners in it and helps make your dawn more effective. Then my second wash is tide alone as sometimes the liquid detergents are difficult to rinse completely out. Then rinse, rinse, and rinse until your rinse water stays clean.

5. mountman

mountman New Member

Iowa
    I thought the gas was used to help dispurse the water quicker from the feathers.
    I personally don't use gas just wash and rinse thoroughly until water is clear and put the bird in the tumbler for a bit.
    Jeff

6. cwt

cwt Active Member

dont have a tumbler and to blow dry a turkey from just soap and water is a pain

7. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

I hang my birds to drip dry for while, if it is windy, I hang them outside and they loose a lot of the extra water. If you don't have a tumbler you can lay your bird out on a towel and lay another towel on top then roll the whole package up as tight as you can for a 1/2 hr. or so-lots of moisture will be removed, then you can blow dry.

8. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Mineral spirits works well.

9. bw

bw New Member

I'm with Jeff (again)...except I use dawn.

Much of the water will drip out while hanging for an hour or so.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

...or, if you don't want to wait for them to drip dry, toss them in the washer for a quick spin cycle.

11. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

I tried that once then my wife found out. Ooops. LOL, but it does work.

12. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I bought a washer just for turkey work. Can't beat it . After I spin it out, I tumble it for 20 min., then use a the Air Force Master Blaster to fluff it up( Mckenzie sells them). I used to gas them, but it was to dangerous for my liking.

13. Wash with dawn, a quick spin in the wifes washer, and blast with compressed air from the compressor, and blow dry. No gas required.
    Jim

14. full fan

full fan New Member

What you have to do is plan ahead. Look & see if there is any thing that needs to be "washed" at the house. Wash you turkey wrap in a towel & put in the washer on the "spin" cycle. Then after you have done that just put the things in the washer & wash them , your wife will "love" you for it & have no ideal of what you have done. ;D

15. boarman1

boarman1 New Member

Thanks guys for the advise.!! Have a great day

16. Go buy the cheapest cloths dryer you can find. They are cheaper than a tumbler. Or buy your wife a new one and take the old dryer. That way you will both be happy ;)

17. South Branch

South Branch New Member

Can somebody explain for me. Do you degrease before or after you flesh the skin/scrape all the fat off, etc.

That's the part that confuses me. Does the degreasing help break it down to make it easier to flesh out/wire wheel, or is it the part after the fleshing to prepare for the preseretive?

Thanks

18. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

i know to each his own and i am going to try one some day with no gas just to see for my self, but in the DVD by Danny Owens and Harry Whitehead they both gas their birds Harry uses unleaded gas and Danny uses Coleman ,just throwing that out there

19. South Branch

South Branch New Member

Before or after its fleshed out? Before or after the borax/preservative?

20. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

after all fleshing soak in gas then shake off or let drip a few mins. put it in the tumbler if you don't have one lay in a box of corn cob grit and shake around cover it let it pull out as much gas as it can, then borax