1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

i cleaned a coyote skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by kycooner, Jan 15, 2007.

1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

by boiling ,but there still small amounts of meat in like a tear duct opening, ear canal and nasal passage should i let it dry and try to remove this or boil it some more,i bought a 300 beetle startup kit ,do you think they can handle this.

2nd how do i reattatch the lower jaw for mounting
    3rd sealer,, does wal mart have some and if so what kind do you use

Dale Loescher likes this.
  2. AndyB

AndyB New Member

300 beetles if you took most of the meat already off should have the skull cleaned in about 4-5 days or less depends on environment they are in

3. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

I'd leave the beetles handle something else while you get used to how they work. If you put the coyote skull in there they will seek shelter within the skull and be a pain to remove (when taking skulls out of the beetle tank some beetles are killed as it is impossible to remove every last one from the skull). Also, there is likely not sufficient meat on the skull to provide any real gains in the population anyway. Feed the beetles a small skull (muskrat or smaller, with eyes, tongue, and brain removed) or a small amount of dog food. Both will provide the space necessary for the adults to lay their eggs and the colony to expand in size.

As for the coyote skull, you may wish to try a maceration as I do when I boil skulls. I've found that boiling skulls, while ridding surface tissues nicely, does a lousy job at getting to tissues of the sinuses, nasal conchae, and inner ear. Instead of going in a painstakingly attempting to remove these tissues by hand, I let the skull macerate for a few days after a boil to remove all tissues. It, in my opinion, is a more thorough cleaning than boiling alone, and it is significantly faster than a regular maceration. Following maceration, a simple rinse and a bit of shaking is enough to rid the skull of the tissues within the skull.

Attaching the lower jaw the skull was discussed just a few days ago on this forum. I discussed a simple way of attaching the jaws permanently to the skull of a deer, but it can be applied to a coyote the same way. Here was the post:

Should you need a more sturdy jaw attachment, for example in doing a skeletal mount, you can screw the skull to the mandible at the mandibular notch (down through the flat surface of the zygoma and into the mandibular condyle as indicated by the red line below), and then glue (I use Weldbond) where the teeth cheek teeth touch if necessary(Blue circled region). If you need something less permanent, use glue that can be remove at these regions.
    [​IMG]

Sealing was also discussed just a few weeks ago here as well. Here were some suggestions made in the post:

krylon crystal clear non yellowing sealer
    Mop-n-glow for wax
    WASCO fish sealer
    WASCO aerosol polytranspar sealer
    50/50 white glue and water mix

You should check the archives as all of this has been covered in great detail, but I hope this gets you started on the right foot. Regards,

Dave

4. AndyB

AndyB New Member

i agree it is very hard to get all of them out i like to put my skulls in the freezer when they are done to kill off all other larva seems to work good for me

5. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

can i put the skulls straight in amonia ,to kill any larve that may be there,when i take them away from the beetles

6. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

Yes you can. If there is any remaining flesh on the skull, the ammonia will cause it to swell, allowing easy removal. The ammonia will also kill any remaining beetles, albeit slower than some other chemicals. If you are looking to save as many beetles as possible, put the skull in hot water after you take it out of the beetle tank. The bugs will squirm their way to the surface, and with a quick hand and a pair of tweezers you can save many of them and but them back in the tank safely.

Dave

7. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

thanks Dave, ididn't wanna lose any if i can help it,but i will say 1 thing, they like coyote better than bologna,really active since i put the skull in.