1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving safetee acid cape question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bluedog, Jan 15, 2007.

1. bluedog

bluedog Guest

hello,

I am learning how to flesh and shave on a round knife(12").

I fleshed two deer capes and one full body skin. Seemed to work great. Took off thre to four inch wide strips of meat and fat. A few holes but for the most part went better than I could have hoped for.

I pickled these hides and shaved them...I tried anyway. Seemd to either cut in too deep(almost see hair) or didn't want to remove any at all. Sometimes it would make a nice 2 or 3 inch wide swipe and would a spot or two so I would go back over the spot to try to get it. It wouldn't want to take any off and when it did it would often be a deep not very wide swath.

I put them back in the pickle and today they look like a road full of potholes.

What gets me is that I even thinned the lips and nose pad on a practice cape with no problems but when I tried to thin the neck down it seemed to bite to deep or none at all. I also tried to shave the body hide again and quit pretty quick. The hide is really smooth from fleshing it and where I tried to shave it, it started to look like potholes again so I quit.

I have my back side guard level with the blade. My cutting side guard is about 1/8 inch below and about 1/2 inch away from the blade.

Do I need to lower the lip(not cut so deep), or do I need to raise it so it cuts easier?

Any hints would be appreciated, Bluedog

2. RobinK

RobinK New Member

Best thing to do is get the fleshing tape from Quebec fleshers its good hard to tell ya what to do unless i was there to do it good luck RobinK

3. paul e

paul e New Member

id do as the previous said
    about 1/8 or so with left guard
    but a couple of things
    id get a couple of tapes the Quebec i hear is good
    ive got a couple of Bruce Rittels tapes
    they are good also
    its a lot to post on how to flesh or shave
    get the videos and practice
    but ill share some quick points
    ALWAYS SHAVE TAIL TO HEAD with the lay of the hair
    dont pull the skin to tight youll get real uneven shaving(keep your thumbs pointed up)
    i dont know how long youve had your machine but
    when it came in your lip was probably lifted to high and needed to be adjusted
    and maybe tuned a little
    boy its hard to explain now that im thinking about it
    get the tapes they will do wonders for you
    then it will be up to you to practice(use spair capes and such)
    good luck

4. Felpy

Felpy New Member

Move the "cutting guard" closer to the blade. At the sametime you will want to shallow up the depth of the cut by moving the "cutting guard" further out.

5. bluedog

bluedog Guest

Thanks,

I will try the hints and keep practicing. I do have Rittel's DVD and it was really good. Even from a DVD it is hard to "get the feel" of what is going on.

Thanks again, Bluedog