1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

buying taxi supplies wholesale?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sunbeam Taxidermy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Im working on turning my taxi hobby into a part time business and just wondering is anyone buying supplies from anyone at wholesale cost? If so what company? If not buying at wholesale cost, while we are talking about suppliers, what company have you had good dealings with and why? Reason i ask is I have always been a Van Dyke guy but seems like they eat me up with shipping every chance they get. EX: I make order and they send half and say other half is on backorder but I get the two packages a day apart so I pay two different shipping charges instead of what should have been one. Are they getting a cut on these shipping charges or am I just looking to far into this? Dont get me wrong they have been a great company but this shipping issue is a pain!

2. SevereTaxidermy

SevereTaxidermy New Member

There's a couple different ones that I like to use. Here are some......Dan Rienhart supply, Research mannikins, Mckenzie (usually kinda high price), and jonas brothers. I use van dykes quite frequently but I don't usually make an order until I need quite a bit of stuff.....never had a prob with em....Those are the main ones I would suggest. It all depends on what you want to get and how much of it too. I do EVERYTHING i can on my own without buying form anyone. that saves some

3. TomL

TomL New Member

WASCO is who I order from whenever possible. Good variety and prices, not to mention they give us tons of information via this free forum. :)

4. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

WASCO is good but sometimes you have to wait for the shipping.

5. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Sunbeam, the more you get into this business, the more you will realize you need to charge high to cover these costs....and they are not making a cutoff shipping. If their like most businesses, they lose money everytime they ship.

You can get quantity discounts if you buy over a certain amount with most of the suppliers. Buying at discounted rates beyond that is reserved for the large shops who consistently buy large quantities, and can negotiate pricing based on there buying power and history.

6. buckstands

buckstands Mount it like it was your's

look on the selling a wanted page here. you can get a deal on what people has stored
    up and didnt use.you will ran across good deals
    hope i help.a little

7. simple ...... just tell them not to back order and ship all at the same time.. or find someone that dose have what you want.. as far as discounts big shops get the brakes, you will find that if you rase your price this small matter will go away. if you are mounting for free then just keep doing the shippin thing the way you are . it dosent take long to figure it out charge more worry less.. mark c

8. boarman1

boarman1 New Member

Van Dykes had ripped me on shipping also. I want order from them . They never told me that one of the items I ordered was not in stock and so I was never charged for it .A month later I get a bill for it and a new shipping bill. I bought the grooming brush from walmart for $2.00 and then I get this bill for $6.00 brush and$9.00 to ship it and I never gave them permission to do this and they want return any messages for it.

9. Yeah I figured we couldn't buy at wholesale, but I figured Id check anyway. Thanks for the help everyone! Boarman1 the same incident has happened to me several times and it really gets under your skin but I guess that's part of this business. I think i'm going to start spreading my wealth with other suppliers a little more that's why I asked for your recommendations! Thanks again! Great site!

10. Jim L

Jim L New Member

This will help easily. I always ask that they put it all in 1 box, even if I have to wait a little while. I think that they charge just about the same as everyone else as far as shipping.

11. gasman1

gasman1 The Big One Almost Got Away

N.C
    Sunbeam i order from Mckenzie's thy are a little high but I always get what I order usely the next day or two.

12. zubba

zubba Active Member

I order a bit from them all. I guess I'm lucky with VanDykes. When I order through VanDykes, they ship my order Speedee Delivery..which is WAY cheaper than FedEx or UPS. Haven't had a shipping problem with them yet....in fact, I haven't had too many problems with any supplier as of late.

13. .c'enzie offers a discount if your order is over a particular ammount. The more you spend the bigger the discount. I believe Matuska dose the same.
    When I started buying everything for my shop, I sat down and made a list of everything that I needed now, and everything I would like to have. Then I went to work and priced out every item from all the distributers I could find ( so I'm cheap ) I compared prices and made large orders once, for what I could afford. What I couldn't, I still knew the cheapest priced distributer cause I had my list.
    Some that I used are, Matuska, McKenzie, Research Mannikins, Jonas, WASCO, Quality, Ohio, Trufitt Life, John & Dan Rinehart, Joe Coombs, Ozark Woods.... Just a few.... Lol
    Good luck! :)