1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need opinions

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by cwt, Apr 7, 2009.

1. cwt

cwt Active Member

All you good habitat guys/gals i could use some ideas for the coyote mount below. im thinking of going woth a "Z" shaped base with a glossy black base on the floor and a glossy peice of cedar tree ,just barked shaved off and urethaned for the angled part of the base and for the top part of the"Z" glossy black with a habitat mound in the middle with leaves and dirt and i think im going to make the trap in mid air halfway snapped and weld it like that and make as if the coyote jumped out of or the snap had missed him. And I dont think i can pulle it off since the coyote is dry but im thinking of somehow puttping him in mid air. cant wait to here some ideas.

[​IMG]

2. cwt

cwt Active Member

wow no opinions, I must have the best idea there is to think of. ......LOL

3. Dean

Dean New Member

Mounted animals in a trap don't mix. It looks tacky and gives the antis a way to complain and use it against hunting. It's an ethical thing for most experienced taxidermists and don't use traps with a mount because of that.

4. CWP

CWP Custom Hardwood Plaques

Well said Dean. I have never seen any mounts with a trap and im sure that is why.

5. cwt

cwt Active Member

yeah well the whole forum has been threw this conversation already thanks for your opinion but im talking about the habitat and not the mount.

6. Dean

Dean New Member

No opinions because it's tasteless.The trap is the main focal point of that habitat you want to do. The trap idea isn't new or "the best idea there is" or original. It has been thought of many times but not used because of what it looks like. It's poor taste. My opinion is the same as the majority of taxidermists. Even though a scene like what you want to do can happen it casts a negative shadow on sportsmen and taxidermist. Does the word ethical mean anything? It would be like doing a mount with an arrow sticking out the side of a mount or an mount that has an exit hole from a bullet and blood spray or making a road killed animal. There will be a few that may think it's fine but that would be a slim minority of taxidermists. It's tasteless and most states don't allow mounts like that into a competition for that reason. You aren't getting a responce and help with ideas from other taxidermists because most of them are thinking what I have said. I won't give my opinion on what I think of the mount as you asked.

7. cwt

cwt Active Member

well Dean I tell ya i have had this conversation with others, and i know you think it is tasteless i assume you ahve read about my first post on maybe making the coyote jumping and having the trap miss him and having him put in mid air. and as i said before it is know more tasteless than having a fish mount of a stringer full of fish and or a fish jumping out of the water with a hook in his mouth but i guess that is o.k because it is just a fish.

8. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Honestly I think that looks kind of cool. The expression on the coyote is very well done. I know there has been controversy on mounting animals with traps, but I think that when it's done well, it can make for an interesting mount. And I think that one is done very well! I'd like to see a picture when its finished.

9. its about the perception not your mount .. its kinda like going to a roit with out torching and braking windows.. your mount is nice you just creatining an imagine that isnt healthy for the taxi. biz. nothin personal.. mark c

10. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

You can get into alot of debates on this subject. I would think for an avid hunter it would be fine, for a trapper he would probably love it. Anti-hunters are always going to have something negative to say about our sport, profession, way of life no matter what and I doubt anything will ever change that. What I'm worried about is when people are so concerned about what other groups think that they "give in an inch and they TAKE a mile". Before you know it, we will turn around and our sport and love for the outdoors will be gone.

11. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

First I say do what you want.Anti's will always complain and fight us no matter what.I like it.I think it shows a natural setting.Lets face it we trap hunt and fish which is a natural thing and should never hide it nor apologize for it.

12. msc

msc New Member

Tn
    This is just my opinion
    But I really thought Taxidermy was one of the few areas of life that does not have to be politically correct
    After all , it does follow after the hunting or trapping so like it or not anti hunters will not every like what we do no matter how we present the art form
    By the way the mount looks great
    Hope you post a finished picture

13. some times you cant see out of the window... even in broad day light......... ive fished hunted and shot everthing in north US but this is not about your work its about the perseption it gives.. i agree that we all been doing this a long time and its the way of life... but why in the name of God would you inflame those that are against us.. whould that make a nice mount for Peta? or some dumd ass who wants to advance there ajenda? well have at it ... the yote is nice though mark c

14. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I think its tasteless but if you insist on doing it do it right. those traps ARE NOT LEGHOLDS. they are footholds & catch across the foot pads where the paddiing cushions the trap & makes it relatively painless.

15. cwt

cwt Active Member

didnt ask for critque on the mount bill and the trap is not permanently on there......DONE

16. I'm not to keen on the trap thing
    but I would do a winter scene lots of snow to kind of have the trap hidden in the snow and grass and shrubs
    just an idea

17. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

The trap is the centerpiece of the habitat which IS what you asked about so put it where it belongs.

18. cwt

cwt Active Member

thanks free spirit so far the first suggestion,not sure what im going to do or when starting to get more stuff in and that is for the shop so gets put on the back burner

19. ther are things about the craft that arent good but the snow idea is great if the seen is put together correctly have a great day mark c

20. Bugz 2 Bonz

Bugz 2 Bonz Skull Cleaning / Central Ohio

I would use the trap Idea half closed missing the foot. This would probably make any person against hunting happy thinking that some animals do escape and live a happy life ;D ;D ;D another Idea would be not to use trap and have a Rattler striking at the coyote