1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need opinions

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by cwt, Apr 7, 2009.

1. cwt

cwt Active Member

thanks for the ideas. Sorry about my poor grammer skills..

2. proof

proof New Member

Take the trap out and put a snake striking.

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Take the trap off the foot or leg and have it half closed have a stick caught in it as it sets and the starled look of the yote works..name it " ALMOST, but not TODAY"
    That everyone will like ;D

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Why don't you put a trap on every foot? I caught one like that last year. ::) ;D

[​IMG]

5. cwt

cwt Active Member

Dennis i like that idea.

6. komodo_28

komodo_28 New Member

I was thinking that a snake would look nice there, but if you still want the trap there it would look good with a row or two of harvested corn and have the trap comming from a blind set.

7. NSI

NSI H2OGraphX

Idaho
    I like the idea of the base....although I would look at fall colors for the base and the top, more yellow, green, red or fall colors just to be different then the normal brown/black earth tone colors. The Z shape would be a great balance and offset idea and would give a great look. As far as the trap goes......to me, it doesn't make a difference if it's open/sprung or if it is on the dogs paw - left or right, or for that matter a snake which was a good idea or what ever might give that startled defensive look...all good ideas. But the customer has the final say either way in my opinion.

Side note.....animal right activists are against us no matter what we do! That is a fact! I don't back down to any of them no matter what they say or what they do, I have relatives that are anti hunting and we don't see eye to eye and leave each other alone on that topic. The only thing we can do as taxidermists is make it tasteful, keep it real and ALL band together (not argue and fight among ourselves) and back each other up no matter what our personal opinion is. ALSO hunters, fishermen and outdoors men/women too, .......segregated we will fall......if we don't band together......we will be disbanded and loose our given right to hunt, fish and be in the outdoors!

8. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I agree with both points from NSI. The fall theme and that anti's are not happy just because the traps not there.

I like the trap on the foot. If your customer wants it that way and it is real looking, why not. What if it was for the National Trappers Museum?

Don't give in.

9. Riverland

Riverland New Member

what Dean said.

10. fougair

fougair New Member

Don't give in! what about some of the exhibits at cabelas! animals attacking other animals you are not going make everybody happy cannot wait to see the final display i think the snake would look real cool or something coming out of the ground ,startling the yote.

11. animalstuffer

animalstuffer New Member

I agree with the snow I like snow with the yotes. As for the trap I like it alot, the anti-hunters are already not happy, your mount is not going to make them feel any better or worse.

12. I would not worry about what any anti has to say! Do you think the first sculpture of a naked woman went over well? This is artwork and I think that what makes a piece truly valuable is the power of emotion in an inanimate object , and your piece has it. By bending your will to meet the expectations of those who would disagree with you is to be a coward and that is what will cost the taxidermy industry. Be creative and don't let fear hold you back.

13. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

I like it, this IS how life is, it's natural and a fact of life. It's in a trap but no blood and no broken leg.

Trappers see that all day long, might not be what everyone wants to see but hey... how do you think all the yotes, wolfs and foxes that you guys mount are caught? They sure are not put down by the vet. Some caught with neck collars (not always nice to see either, especially when the head "inflates"), some shot ... well you all know what it looks like and some trapped.

I bought a yote that was trapped and missing the front leg, not just the end of the foot but about 5-6in of it, they are not always caught by the toes, here ya go.

Antis will always have something to say whatever you do, hell, some mourn the dead trees so....

Post pics once the habitat finished, it should look very nice.

14. Barry

Barry New Member

I think you are on to a great Idea in the Habitat scene you are wanting . when you weld the trap make sure you have some twist in the chain also some dry sage grass would look great close to his back foot that would help to hide any long attchment point you have to base, as for as the Anti's well they are going to complain and protest no matter what so you just have to keep a wide open mind and don't feed em anymore than you have too! Hunting and fishing will be here long after most of them are sitting in an old folks home eating jello and playing canasta!JMHO

15. skinningman

skinningman New Member

I think you have a great idea. You are not showing the animal trapped you are showing an animal that outwitted the trap. I don't see a problem with that. IS it any different then mounting a squirrel dead and hanging in a coyotes mouth? The animal is not being shown as trapped. If you had it in the trap I feel that would be very different. Good luck and post pics when done. Mike

16. WolfMan96

WolfMan96 New Member

this mount could be saved using the trap. You should place a rock where the left front foot comes up. Also try adding tan or brown colored shrub around it. If you were to do that the mount would look great. Any Opinins?????

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

you could always put the coyote in a live trap! then almost everyone would be happy, myself id make it look like he sprung the trap and was startled, but each their own! nice yote..

18. burdman

burdman New Member

Ive got a tip to make it more realistic dont use a rusty old trap, use one that a coyote trapper would use. Try a #2 with offset jaw that has been dyed and waxed.

19. AF Martin

AF Martin New Member

I like your idea of the trap firing, I think it would better with the trap just starting to fire through the surface of the dirt, i have never seen one of my traps jump into the air is all i am saying, I don't know if you could make it look like dirt is flying or not, i would allso make it look more realistic by making a set such as a dirt hole or flats set, something that a trapper would look at and identify right off the bat, dyeing and waxing the trap after you welded it would be the finishing touch one more thing you could go down a size of trap and it wouldn't take away from the mount

I saw a picture of a mount in a competition a couple of years ago, that had a coyote working a dirt hole, the trap wasn't fired and you couldn't see the trap but you knew it was a set when you looked at it, it was freaking awesome, the people that picked up on it were trappers and outdoors man/women, it was a on a trapping forum

Later josh

20. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I think it would look great with a huge marmot teeth bared lunging at him they don't die easy it takes a tough coyote to kill one