1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hunterzach, Jan 15, 2007.

1. SEND TO LARGE COMPANY

16.7%
  2. SEND TO SMALL COMPANY

41.7%
  3. DO IT YOUR SELF

41.7%
  4. VARRIES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hunterzach

hunterzach New Member

Iowa
    JUST WONDERING WHEATER TO DO IT MYSELF

2. HZ,
    I make a living at tanning for others. I would save money by turning my own ears, lips and splitting noses, removing feet from bears...etc., and then send the salted hide out to tan with a small tanner that can get your capes back fast. That is 30 minutes of your time and then off to the tannery. It really is a no brainer when you figure all you have to do to tan. Do you want to spend that time tanning or mounting? ;)

3. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Or!.... In my case it takes an hour to get those feet out!

4. 14 more posts and you are Platinum!!!!!! :eek:

5. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

I always push sending tanning out, but I dont ever remember specifying the size of the tannery? How did the large tannery get large? From consistantly turning out quality work. This the biggest no-brainer of all. In the un-likely event, their is ever a problem with you skin, a large tannery, has the finacial abillity, to make it right, in the event of skin replacement. Getting skins back too quick, often comes with a price.

6. Matt Richards

Matt Richards Member

My advice: do it yourself if its inspiring and exciting to you. If you are trying to save a buck, send it out to a pro. Unless you pay yourself $3 an hour, they can do it cheaper and better than you can.

7. JohnW.

JohnW. Guest

Matt,I disagree with that last statement.I'm not trying to be arrogant,but I don't think anyone can tan and thin my capes better then I do it myself.I'm talking about the whitetails,bears and smaller stuff. :eek:

8. Matt Richards

Matt Richards Member

John,

That comment was targeted to someone asking whether they should learn to tan or send it out. If you already know how to tan and are proficient at it, I agree with you. But your first hide or two is unlikely to come out as good as a pros, unless you have some really good one on one instruction. Part of my business is to teach people how to tan at home (see www.braintan.com), so obviously I'm very supportive of people learning how to tan. But if someone is just interested in it because they have this one or two hides to tan, and they think they are going to save money doing it themselves and still come out with just as good a product, I'd say its a false economy.