1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

feeding baby squirrels

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jerry C, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

I have raised many baby squirrels and released them when ready, but a logger brought me 2 today that are babies! I would say a week at best. No hair. How often do I feed them? Thanks in advance.

2. There's a formula out there you can get at pets mart is powdered it will have a little puppy on it a squirrel, and a Raccoon. It will work for all of those animals and has to be the best out there for Squirrels. every few hours feed them or when they start squeaking for it.

3. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

Thanks brush. I am using Similac baby formula. Boy, I'm glad my kids are all grown up. That stuff's not cheap!

4. isiriu

isiriu New Member

You might want to switch them from the human baby formula to the ESBILAC, which is designed more for critters... it's the stuff that brush mentioned. It comes as a powder, or as already constituted liquid. This would have all the nutrients and whatnot that the little guys need. :) Be sure not to let them get stressed to! Little guys like that can easily die from stress alone!

5. waterdude

waterdude You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

Put them on a heating pad and keep them covered and warm....Esbilac is a must to keep them going...every 2 hours on the food around the clock....Big task to keep the little guys alive...but fun when they get going....We have 9 different ones from foxes to greys that are from several different litters and from several years of rescue that jump out of the trees on you looking for a earlobe to suck on...freaks some guests out when they run in the back patio door and beg like a dog for some peanutbutter crackers...ours are free roaming on our property but are as tame as a cat...they terrorize my old dane often...
    nothing like seeing a squirrel chase or jump on the back of a great dane for a ride around the yard. Have fun! ;D

6. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

I have a friend that is a wildlife rehaber. She takes in so many wonderful babies this time of the year. She will be more than happy to advise you. Her name is Toni O'Neil. She is the director of
    Possumwood Acres Wildlife Sanctuary
    119 Doe Dr
    Hubert NC 28539
    910-326-6432 H
    910-545-7375 C
    PossumwoodAcres@ec.rr.com
    www.PossumwoodAcres.org

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

When I was a teenager I found some baby squirrels that were blown out of a tree in storm. They were fully furred , but eyes still closed. I feed them milk with an egg mixed in with it through a baby doll bottle. Both grew up fine and stayed around the house for years. :)

8. cwt

cwt Active Member

use the powdered kitten milk is what i use every couple of hours ike brushwolf said

9. AT least every couple of hours.It is imporant to mention to keep checking the nipple.If it gets chewed off it can cause blockage.

10. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

A serious question for all of you wild squirrel raisers- aren't there any concerns about parasites and diseases? Can't even the tiniest hairless babies transmit things? Or are squirrels fairly clean? I know in some states you can buy them in pet shops; are there vaccinations for them? I walk in the woods allot, and if I ever came across a little baby squirrel I would be incredibly torn between picking it up or leaving it -as cruel as that may sound- because of my worry over diseases.

11. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    I now this may be a bit late, but a good squirrel formula is:

1 part powdered esbilac
    2 parts water
    1/3 part whole whipping cream

Adding a pinch or acidophiles and L-glutamine to the total daily ration is also beneficial

When starting this formula make sure babies are warm and hydrated. (pinch a bit of skin p on their neck, if it stays tented for several seconds they are dehydrated. If the skin returns to normal immediately their fine) If you think their dehydrated give them a feeding of pedialyte and wait an hour or so and check again. If you have access to lactated ringers a bit of SQ fluids is a good idea.
    For your first formula feeding cut the entire mixture half and half with water. Gradually increase the concentration from feeding to feeding in order to give their little tummies time to adjust.
    Until their eyes open you'll have to stimulate them to potty after every feeding. Gently rub their bottoms with a warm wet tissue for a couple of minutes. They may not go everytime, but need to go at least every 36 hours, or you have a problem.

Start out every feeding every two hours, only enough the plump up their little tummies. Overfeeding will cause you grief! Gradually increase the amounts of formula per feeding and increase the time between feedings.

Keep them in a warm dry container, preferably on a heating pad without an automatic turn off. You can also use a heat lamp on one side of the container, just keep a watch on the temp. Stay away from ceder and pine shavings in the container. Aspen shavings are fine, or paper towels work great too.

Good luck with those little guys. Their a ton of fun, but it does take a lot of time to keep them going when their so small.

12. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    There's really not much you can get from a squirrel. They virtually never carry rabies do to the fact that they won't survive the attack that transmitted it. They can have fleas and mites, but those can be easily treated. No vaccinations are necessary that I'm aware of. If you ever find one in distress you can feel safe helping them out. Now if it's an adult, they may bite the tar out of you. . . :)

13. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Thanks Rebecca :) I know I would feel just awful leaving one if I found it, so it's good to know they are a fairly clean critter.

14. Yup that's it ESBILAC, don't use the stuff your using get ESBILAC get the POWDERED kind the liquid isn't so great and another thing do not feed it to them to fast or they will have milk come out their noses when this happens wipe the milk off and use a bulb syringe to try to suck the milk out if you don't they have a possibility of getting a respiratory infection.