1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A question for those who flesh Bison hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Matt Richards, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Matt Richards

Matt Richards Member

How long on average does it take you to flesh and thin bison hides? I know they can vary quite a bit, so I'm just interested in a ballpark answer as a way of comparing how close we are to the 'norm' or not.

2. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

About 20 min on a half hide and 30-40 min on a full hide, unless its a big bull, then add 15 minutes. Thats taking cuts 2ft long, and 6in wide. Sometimes they have to be put back in pickle, and the rump, and the center of the neck has to be hit again-add 10 more minutes. Im probablly not the norm though. I aint bragging, but, when getting it, I can shave a 60" blk bear, in less than 10 minutes.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

the answer is a L-O-N-G T-I-M-E

4. Matt Richards

Matt Richards Member

Fleshing Speed

Its taking my friend about 8 hours per bison, he's been using an eager beaver, with the more aggressive blade, and has Rittel's fleshing video and articles, and he went and got a lesson from another taxidermist a few cities over. He's used a fleshing machine two days a week for about six months, and is pretty adept person (he learns quickly and is good with his hands). If we could get him down to two to three hours per hide, that would be awesome in itself. Other than just putting the time in, which I know is a big part of it, any recommendations on how we can get him more instruction on how to use the tool effectively? We're located in Oregon.

5. qflesher

qflesher New Member

For all of you that flesh very heavy hides we have a patent on a system that can cut you fleshing time considerably. Cantact me at 1-800-567-5080
    Gerry