1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

felt to hide

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by manley125, Apr 9, 2009.

1. manley125

manley125 New Member

does any one know how or what to do after you tan your fur for a rug? im really not sure how to attach the felt to the hide.

can any one help?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

You can either sew it or hot glue it.
    Most don't have a machine good enough for rugging, so they get sent out to a rugger.

http://www.taxidermy.net/suppliers/rugs.php

3. manley125

manley125 New Member

when you sew it with a machine doesnt it trap the hair under the thread?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Manly, when you get your hide, you buy a can of 3M spray adhesive and a roll of quilt polyfill along with the felt. Spray the hide and then attach the quilt filler. Then spray it and put the felt over it. Carefully cut the poly fill and the felt about 1 inch inside the outline of the hide. Roll the hide over and hem stitch around the edge holding the hide down over and through the felt and poly. When you're done, get a long length of color matching nylon polyester thread in the needle. With a piece of chalk, put a dot on the felt about 6 inches apart all over the felt so that you've defined "corners" of a 6 inch square. Push the threaded needle through the felt and hide. On the hair side, reinsert the needle about 1/8 inch apart from the exit hole and push back through the hide and the felt. Pull the thread and then tie a surgeons knot against the felt. Do this on every dot of chalk. (It's called a quilt tack and it keeps the hide from forming a balloon between itself and the felt backing.) Do NOT use hot glue. Hot glue will not stay bonded to a properly tanned and oiled hide.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

George I agree on you said everything but the above part.
    I have a coyote rug that WAS properly tanned and oiled and the hot glue is still holding 5 years later.
    If I try to pull the felt off I would rip it.

6. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

100% true over time and humidity. Hot glue for rugs is amateur taxidermy work.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Then I REALLY need to have a one on one with this darn rug :D Cause it's doing what it's sposed to do ::)

8. manley125

manley125 New Member

thank guys! id idnt realize it was that simple or is it harder than it sounds? does anyone have any pictures that could help to make sure i have the right idea?

9. manley125

manley125 New Member

how does the quilt filler attach?

10. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

It may hold nice forever being a coyote in your own home etc. but for commercial taxidermy it is a poor way to rug and hot glue can not even come close to comparing with quality workmanship against sewing.

11. BWS

BWS New Member

No hot glue....

Either sew it yourself or send it out!

12. manley125

manley125 New Member

where can i get the quilt filler? and how does it attach?

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

George told you this...a spray adhesive. Get quilt at Joann fabrics or a similar store.

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

There ya go, the majority has it 8) , so stitch it up ;)

15. manley125

manley125 New Member

thanks everyone youve all been a big help! ill post pics when done

16. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Manley...yes the hair gets caught in the stitching. You need to go through and manually remove it. I use an itty bitty tiny crochet hook.

As for the glue/sewing debate...it depends on what kind of work you want to put out. If I had a choice between buying a leather jacket that was glued vs one that was sewn, I'd choose the sewn one. The glued one might look good...and for some folks that's fine. I prefer to sew them. Also, one thing that makes me shake my head is the cheezy felt borders. It's not that hard to sew a ruffled felt border. The flat or one little 1/2 hearted ruffle every 3-5 inches...those are just sad. I pre-sew my borders. I bought a felt cutter off of e-bay...it's got a blade that cuts a scalloped edge...for $14.00 plus shipping. I run strips of felt through it and with my sewing machine, I premake the ruffles. Then I just have to sew the rug to the border & backing. I also bought an old industrial sewing machine. It goes through 6 layers of leather like butter.

If you don't have a strong machine...you can...God help you...use an awl. The thread is in the handle of these tools. You poke through all the layers, run a backer thread through the loop made by the awl...then pull the awl up. It is tedious and time consuming.

For small things it'd be less daunting...but a large bear...send it out. There are many good rug artists here. Mary Kreuger is the name that pops into my head first. PLTannery does them too I think. She's nice to deal with as well.

Good luck. ;)

17. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

If you are hand hemming the border, how far apart should the stitching be?

18. Lisa M

Boar, I don't make hems at all on borders. The felt will not unravel. Is that your question? If you mean sewing the border onto the hide with the hand awl like I described, I put 5-6 stitches to the inch. I hope that helps.

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Thanks Lisa. I was just wondering because my teacher had his wife sew all his rugs, but another taxidermist I know hand sew all of his. I got a video on it by Reinhart I believe, but he hot glued the hide to felt. I'm trying to decide if I should send them out, buy a sewing machine, or hand stitch them. Around here I know several taxidermists and they all charge around $100- $110 per foot so bears go for around $500-600 on average. I'm not sure I could make any money if I wholesale them out, and hand stitching would take too long. I hesitate to buy a machine unless I start getting a lot of rugs in.

20. Lisa M

I bought my machine off of ebay for...trying to remember...$180 including shipping? I'll pm you the name of the seller okay? He takes old machines, updates them for electricity and sells them. Darn thing is a work horse. I do 10-12 stitches per inch with it. :)