1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bear hide with liqua-tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by elk74, Apr 12, 2009.

1. i have lots of time and two real nice brown colored black bears in the freezer,i just tanned a deer cape with liqua tan and it worked very well.the peices of hide that were trimmed off the back of the mount dried to a very nice white tan,with minimal breaking and rubbing they ended up great . so my question is, if i used a good degreaser and liqua-tan would a bear hide turn out equally as nice .again i have lots of time and i dont mind putting in the elbow grease and time on my fleshing beam .although i have heard bears are tricky to tan.also on the deer cape i used the salt brine method rather than a pickle, worked great but was wondering if i should probably pickle the bear. any input would be great thank you

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Liqua-tan is great on bear along with ez-100. No matter what you should pickle the bear for three day and then use a heavy degrease from either knobloch's or Rittle's. After you do the degreasing then place it back to the pickle for another 24 hrs and neutralize. From there liqua-tan and followed up by using an oil after it.

3. thanks frank for the info .i thought it would work too,like i said i am very pleased with the results i got with liqua-tan on the deer,just never tanned a bear before.i always sent them out to be tanned . but i will give it a go and see how it works thank you again.

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

As Frank E. Kotula stated, and the degreasing is very important, I have used liqua-tan along with lutan f and results are great on bear !