1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

YUMMY Mountain Lion............The other white meat!!!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by NICKYG, Jan 16, 2007.

1. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

I just skinned out a 75 lb (small female dressed out) Montana Mountain Lion for a customer today that was "licking his chops" when I was skinning this thing out!!! He said that Mountain Lion burgers ARE HIS FAVORITE!!! I said Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I have had Mountain Lion steaks, and they were good, but his favorite meat????? Don't know about that....When your wife doesn't know what to cook for dinner, have her cook you up some "putty tat" The other white meat!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!! P.S. He waited a full day before field dressing his "prized meat"...Just another knucklehead out there I had to "edumacate!!"

2. Cats in the kettle at the Peking moon, that's where I eat everyday at noon.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Funny you should mention mountain lion meat. A friend of mine who has a large slaughter house operation invited me to sample a piece of cooked roast and asked that I identify the meat.It tasted like a good cut of roast beef, but knowing that he wanted me to identify it I knew it wasn't beef. It was mountain lion. He had been on a hunt and butchered the cat he shot. It had a great flavor.

4. python12

python12 Member

Mt lion is some of the best meat I've ever tasted..its a shame so many people waste it after they skin em out..

5. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

My regular elk guide is also a cat guide and he insists that mt. lion is his favorite meat......

6. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

One of my favorites, with sauted mushrooms!! It's funny the horrified looks you get when you tell people. BUT, have them taste it FIRST. Then it's a look of disbelief... :eek:

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I have to admit it is pretty good, although it would have been better had I NOT known what it was first, LOL. It was just hard not to think of it as a "cat".

8. catman

catman Active Member

I have delt with too many that had a belly full of putrid meat. Just one really bad one would break most cat fanciers of the other white meat. Besides that ,our cats have nearly an 80% chance of carrying trichinosis. Not something I want to eat!

9. I have also tried Mt lion meat and although I thought it tasted good, white like pork I must admit I had a hard time swallowing it knowing it was from a cat. Something about that was not right for me.. Just my opinion, of coarse.

10. python12

python12 Member

kinda like snakes & snails, its good if you dont think about what it is first

11. abbytaxi

abbytaxi Member

ive only tried it once and thought it was really good, i just skinned one out the other day and the customer picked up the meat. said he'd bring some back for me once its butchered. cant wait to make a roast for some unsuspecting family members

12. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

How about other cats like leopard and African lion? Has anybody tried those?? I've wondered if there is any way to make fox meat palatable. Even when it's meat counter fresh straight from the fox breeder the smell of boiling meat is enough to clear you out of the house. It's nasty!!! Any ideas on taming that down and making it useable??

13. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

yes I know of many people that eat mountain back stapes, lynx is also very good, yes it taste like , what do you call that bird , oh yes CHICKEN LOL!!!!!!!!!

what really puzzles me , is that all taxidermist at their age have never tried Pussy LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry folks I just could not resist

14. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

How about Bobcat? Anyone tried it?

15. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

BOBCAT tastes like CHICKEN!!! ;D lol lol lol!!

16. python12

python12 Member

Bobcat is good also..

17. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

If it tastes like chicken, why not just eat chicken?

18. Nope, wont eat predators. Have plenty of venison to clinch my wild game cravings each year.

19. Bobcat taste great.. I had a BBQ with white tail and bobcat the bobcat was all gone way before the deer meat... Give it a try some time....

20. Dean

Dean New Member

Mt lion and leopard are probably the two best tasting meats I've eaten. It's like very lean pork.