1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please Explain What The Wire Wheel?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Zack, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Zack

Zack New Member

Pleaseexplainwhat the wire wheel does to the tanned hides? I have heard of its use but want to learn,Zack

2. RobinK

RobinK New Member

Does nothing to them i use wire wheel on tanned skins all the time thin the lips eyes whatever you have to be careful been doing it for years thats all i can say

3. RobinK

RobinK New Member

for got to tell ya i have 1 horse long shaft motor it will bte ya if not careful heavy duty mashine shop wire wheel about 60.00 dollors inch and quarter wide and on the motor you go any larger probly break you wrist im working on a vidieo on the wire wheel i flesh 170 to 200 deer capes a season good luck Robin Kirkland Taxidermy

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

A wire wheel is for people that havent learned to use a shaving machine. It works, but is second rate.

5. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

or for the people that dont want to empty there bank account.

6. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

All I ever used one on is duck's and turkey's? ???

7. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Actually, I use the fleshing machine to flesh and shave. After tanning and tumbling, I use the wire wheel to even the cape out and thin the facial areas before mounting. It has worked for years. Good Luck.

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

nothing like an unbiased (oldshaver) report

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Jcompton... Is that your kid in the photo??
    I showed it to my hubby and he literally busted up laughing. He has a rather sick sense of humor LOL

10. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

yes,I was hiding behind that bush and threw the cat at him..........no not really, its just another avatar that I found on the intenet,you cant help but laugh at it.

11. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

I cant see a used shaving machine hurting a bank account too much. I will explain the above comment a little more. A shaving machine is much faster, and area of the skin can be done using one. Set the left guard, with very little knife showing, turn the lip down, and go after it. Take your time, and go very slow. After a while, you will be able to shave lips, around preorbital glands, in between the nostrils, chins, up on the ears, etc. Also, your left guard needs to be less than a quarter of an inch away from the knife, to allow for this detail work. Any farther, and it will be difficult. In no time youll be getting em done faster, and cleaner.If anyone ever needs any shaving tips, mail me through this forum, and ill see if I can help. Terry, ive been working on an all in one tanning product for some time now. Maybe next year, you can help me try it out.

12. I wouldn't be caught without one (wire wheel that is). I do all my fleshing (not thinning) with a wire wheel. I also use it sparingly to thin some of the face as well as all of the muzzle and chin area. The wire wheel will not cut off the hair roots like a round knife will. But I do use my Dakota V for 95 % of the thinning. I have tried to thin the entire cape with the wire wheel before but feel it is inadequate, my opinion of course. Happy fleshing.

13. Cory,
    The wire wheel will make it's own type of damages (slits, thin cuts..etc.). There are pros and cons to any machinery. With improper use damages will occur. Wire wheels are good for home tanning when trying to break up an air dried trapper tan for rehydration. That is one good use for them. I am sure there are others, but I personally would stick with the round knife.

14. Gunner1

Gunner1 New Member

It helps to thin around face? Zack?

15. I agree with you David, I prefer to do all of my thinning with the round knife, but the tight areas around the eyes, nose, mouth and even the ears I prefer to use the wire wheel to get what I can't get with the round knife or to basically even out areas of the face like Kbauman said. And yes, if improperly used the wire wheel will tear holes. I am at the point now where I seldom leave holes from my wire wheel, but when I started they were rather common. Practice, practice, and more practice. I still do prefer to use the wire wheel for fleshing the entire cape. I can split eyes, lips and most of the nose with just the wire wheel.

oh, and jcompton, I love that avatar of yours, I laugh every time I see that!!!

16. RobinK

RobinK New Member

Yes i can flesh a cape less than 30 minutes with the wire wheel and if its a thick necked skin i shave it down with the fleshing machine and yes i know how to use a shaving machine been using one for over 20 years just like the wire wheel better in the face area good luck Robin Kirkland Taxidermy

17. Bryan113

Bryan113 New Member

I am fairly knew to the industry. Can somebody explain dry tan, wet tan? By dry tan , do you mean dry preservative that is rubbed on? Thanks for any imput. Bryan

18. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Wow I thought I was the only other person who new how to flesh with the wire wheel. lol. Oh wait did I mention Steve Gosard as well. The pioneer of wirewheeling . from squirel to Bison On a benchgrinder with wirewheel.??

Glad to see others are using this methoud. Yes folks Youc an flesh with a wire wheel. Yes you can turn the lips on the stone wheel,Yes you can thin a cape on the stone wheel Alll for less then a high dollar fleshing machine.

lol. I love this subject.

19. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Robin K. I'd like to see your video when you have it finished. I have made a video as well covering the use of wire wheeling with a variable speed benchgrinder. Have sold tons of them in the past 2 years and still get piles of emails from folks wanting to know more abouts it use. I again would be very interested in seeing your video.

drop me a line anytime [email protected] maybe we can swap some how to stories. Ray