1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How would you repair this? update with Pics

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jcompton, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

just looking for some opinions on how to go about repairing this cape.....
    [​IMG]

2. Re: How would you repair this?

Since it is right above the brisket, how about a little cut out and sew a patch in?

3. Re: How would you repair this?

habitat maybe

4. BWS

BWS New Member

Re: How would you repair this?

cut a patch, sew it in....and then airbrush the brisket a little when it dries, if there is a little bit of thin spots around the repair.

5. Re: How would you repair this?

If you cut and sew it right you can make it look like the brisket hair.

Start pulling it together from left to right and work it.

6. Re: How would you repair this?

I would cut it out and sew it up like this, and I would probably go with a full sneak.

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Cut, sew,airbrush. It'll be OK because of where it is IMO! Fairly common problem area and not your fault. Good luck and don't panic.

8. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

i would cut it out like i have shown in the picture with the red and then sew it together at the points in the blue

9. jcompton

I have some scrap skin that is already tanned and IF I could get a good match I was thinking of patching it..heres another pick that shows alot of loose scabs, I also removed a ton of ticks from around this area.
    [​IMG]

10. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I could sell you a replacement cape tanned cheap.

11. jcompton

Thanks Jason,I might take you up on that offer, I'll try and fix it first and see how it turns out.

12. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I would mount it as is, looks alot worse than it is when the cape is not dry. You can always patch it afterward. Cutting it out will make for a tight fit with a spot that large. Just an opinion.

13. wktaxidermy

wktaxidermy New Member

Unfortunate. We have quite a bit of this tick problem in the lower deer country here in the lower elevations of colorado. Looks like rubbing. You could try and cut it out and replacing the bald spot , but I think the best bet is cape replacement. Good luck

14. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Our red deer usually come in with those spots from ticks too. Most times I can get away with a patch from excess skin with matching hair.

15. Re: How would you repair this?

Patch.. Sew.. take your pick that's a very basic repair, there is so much hair there it will hide pretty easy. If these guys convince you to buy a new cape ..Hell send that one to me I always need extra good capes :)

16. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I would mount it "as is", then taxi the skin from all directions toward the bald spot. When finishing, I would tone it in with an airbrush. Nearly all deer from my region have tick damage on the brisket. If I started cutting and sewing the barren tick areas, I would never get a head put together.

17. Re: How would you repair this?

OBUMER.....LOL

Looks like a V W with he doors swung open..........Freaking hilarious....................

18. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I would go with buckslayers method!

19. BDT

BDT New Member

Here's the link to how I did a couple of similar repairs by patching in pieces of skin.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,83707.msg542958.html#msg542958

20. jcompton

I dremeled a groove in the form and tucked the bald spot, I think it turned out good and was a very easy fix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]