1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition Question??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by AJH, Apr 16, 2009.

1. AJH

AJH Member

I was pondering entering a boar or a deer in a competion next year. I do taxidermy as a hobby. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I think my work is decent. I was wondering should I enter the amateur division to try to do well or enter the professional division to take a beating and learn?? Is it just as much as a learning experience in the amateur division or do they take it easy on you?? Thanks for your help!

2. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

You haven't said how long you have been doing taxidermy, or if you do work for other people, which can come into play. Since it is your first show, and you say it is a hobby, try the amateur division. The score sheets are the same, just a little more lenient on mistakes. Take the time to get a critique later by the judge, that will help you out the most. After you see how you do, and what they had to say in the critique, will help you decide if you should move up another year.

3. wktaxidermy

wktaxidermy New Member

Start in the novice division. Talk to other taxidermists at the show and ask them to critique your work as well. Judges can be overwhelmed and you might not get some of your questions answered. Taxidermists are generally introverts but if you ask their opinion they are most happy to give it. compete, compete, compete it will only make you better. When you stop competeing or think you can learn no more you will have reached the holyer than thou status and there is no hope left for you.

4. I don't know about other shows but if your at an Illinois show, you would want to put it in the pro division. Comercial mounts get walked by and judged at 3 or 4 feet.basicly a visual overview.
    My first year competeing I entered in both, my critique in pro was about 15 min. Of ass kicking knowledge. My crituque in commercial was, "yeah it looks pretty good, but his was cleaner. So I gave you a red"
    It really depends what your looking for. If you want ribbons to hang on the wall, go commercial. If you want to learn your mistakes and grow from them, go pro. Jmo

5. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

I have been thinking about this topic as well. I plan to compete next year, though I'm not sure where my skill level will be at. If you enter multiple mounts, do you have to enter them all in one division across the board? Say you enter three mounts, two in novice, and the third, the one that you feel is your finest work, in pro. Is this acceptable?

6. If you get your feelings hurt very easy then enter Novice, but if you want to learn you allready answered the question.

7. Bone, if you are entering multiple mounts of the same species; IE fish: you have to keep them in the same division. Now if you are entering, mammals, fish, and lets say a reptile, then you can enyter in different catagories.

8. cwt

cwt Active Member

pro if you are looking to learn.

9. Manup and enter the pro division.

10. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Wetnwild, I was thinking of entering several different gameheads and several different lifesize mammals. The more I think about it though, I will just enter all pro. My goal will be to see where I'm at for doing customer work, so I'll do as John says and just go for it. I hope to enter a variety of mammal/gamehead mounts to see where I'm at across the board.

11. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Go Pro.