1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lets see some turkey sucess

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by TIM DUNCAN, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Finally, 3 days prior to the end of our Indiana season I was able to score. I walked across the first field toward the woods I was going to hunt. Upon nearing the second field I ran 2 birds out of the field and into the woods. I tried to circle out around them to head them off.....but with no luck. I picked up and went to the field on the back side of the woods. Nothing there either, so went to the north side and still nothing. So I thought maybe they were using the same field they were using before it got so much tracffic from mushroom hunters on the way to the woods. So i snuck up to within 30 yrds of the field and saw 2 out in this field. They were about 20 yards into the field feeding towards the middle. I let them get out about 70 yrds and then got set up just 10 yrds off the edge. I made one series of calls and he spun around and started strutting my way leaving the real hen behind. He came straight down the corn row and stopped just 10 yrds, directly behind a huge briar bush. I had no shot at all. So i turned slowly to allow shots to both sides of the briar bush. He stayed behind it for at least 5 minutes, not even a step. I didn't have a diaphram in my mouth so I had to use my own voice to do a soft purr and yelp and he cut me off with another thunderous gobble. He commited to the right side of the briar bush so I had my gun waiting for him when he cleared the bush. I knocked hiim in the dirt at just 7 yrds. What an afternoon hunt!!!!! However at the same time I was taking the abuse from hummingbird sized mosquito's. But it was all worth it!!!! 25 pound, 10 inch beard and 23 mm spurs!!!!! Can't wait to try mounting my first turkey!!!!

2. My favorite hunting buddy inspects the beard.

3. spikebuck

spikebuck New Member

The bugs are part of the fun LOCKED-UP. Yea right :D I had to do a quick setup to get my turkey and I think I plopped down into some fire ants. I got a little bit up.

4. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

I tried the old ambush technique this morning and it payed off. Its tuff to call at the spot I hunt, everyone has called to them all month long. Even guys pull over along the road and call at them in the fields. I knew there was a clear cut through the wods that led from one field to another that they used often. 6:30 this morning this guy came through, never gobbled and I never called. Its fun when one just "shows up". ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. spikebuck

spikebuck New Member

I want to see pics Bill

6. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Ive got them up on the post, Are they showing up?

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I shot this one back on March 21, 2009 in Cullman county, AL 19lbs, 9" beard and 1" spurs.

[​IMG]

8. spikebuck

spikebuck New Member

I can't see Yeagers as well. I am on my work computer and I guess that is the problem. I will check again on my home computer. Can't wait to see them.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Your not missing anything, Yeagers pic is a blurry, crappy cell phone pic. ;)
    Bills pics look nice however, good job Bill. ;D

10. spikebuck

spikebuck New Member

Thanks for the heads up Cole. ;D

11. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Thanks Cole!

12. spikebuck

spikebuck New Member

I can see the turkeys now. Very nice.

13. Last one for the year but he's a doozy (especially for a MT merriams).
    10 1/4" beard and 1 3/8th spurs. My best merriams to date.

[​IMG]

14. SteveP

SteveP New Member

We went three for three this year. All first birds for each of us. This bird is archery and is his first season of turkey hunting. OK, enough bragging. ;D

15. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

Success from Nebraska................

[​IMG]

16. highlander

my 3rd bird......

[​IMG]

17. highlander

Me and a buddy from church

[​IMG]

18. highlander

Step son with 2 of his birds and a pic of his 3rd one.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. highlander

3 days of hunting we tagged out with 12 birds. Cant wait till next year..........

[​IMG]

20. ed150

ed150 deer city time

highlander,looks like u guys are some turkey killing machines,congrads.nothing like a long beard down the barrel