1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Back Ground tutorial

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wolfgang, Apr 19, 2009.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

As promised here is a simple background enhancement.
    This first picture is the Pintail photographed against my base back drop then opened in Adobe Photoshop 7.0
    [​IMG]
    I open up a new layer and this layer is where you do all your enhancements.You can paint anything you want, different colors, take a photo to use for a back ground such as a sun set or whatever you desire. I use the clouds command in the filter drop down menu.I pick two colors that compliment each individual piece I am working on.I also textured the background from the filters menu. This layer is set over the top of the original photo and opacity is reduced as to not overpower the original, usually around 60-80%.
    At this point if you don't like what you have done you can go to the edit tab and step backwards quite a few steps until you have removed what you just did.
    [​IMG]
    You can see through this layer so you can remove the color from the bird himself with the eraser tool.This whole process is just the opposite of using the paint tool to color the background.Here I am removing instead of adding.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the bird starting to appear from beneath the color.When using tools in Photoshop to enhance background never use them at 100% opacity unless you are trying to hide something altogether, I use around 39% on the eraser tool. This softens the edges and eliminates that hard edge you see quite often in some enhanced photos.
    [​IMG]
    More of the color is removed until the entire bird and base is exposed.The beauty of working in layers is you can delete a layer if you don't like it with out affecting the original photo! I think that is what separates Photoshop from the cheaper versions.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the finished piece with a border and just a little black air brushing at 30% opacity, around the edges to bring out the bird just a little bit more. Each piece takes me about 10 minutes and with practice anyone can learn do it with the proper software and the possibilities are endless!.
    Like I said this is just my way of doing it and I am sure there are countless ways to achieve similar results.
    Have fun and good luck!

2. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Thanks for the info... and BTW NICE sprig. ;)

3. Hey Wolfgang, thank you much for that info! I've got Photoshop Elements 5.0, and it worked great...but a tad more than 10 minutes for me! Great post.

4. thanks wolfgang. verry helpful tutorial ...and looks easy

5. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Nice job, thanks for the help. Also, sweet looking sprig!

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

maybe you should offer botw services for photos!!!! :eek: :eek: ;) :D very nice!!!

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Cool. Thanks. I'll try that out.

8. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Works Great! It does take some time to get done. Thanks!!!

9. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Thanks all!
    I forgot to mention that when you are done working in layers you have to flatten the image before you can save as a jpeg! Sometimes I forget things that become routine.

10. Very nice........

11. Hmmm. nice looking bird. got one looks just like it. :p