1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Tips and Tactics #3 - Head Painting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bw, Apr 20, 2009.

1. bw

bw New Member

Here is one I know a lot of people have been looking for.

This is a basic paint schedule for how I paint my turkey heads. It can be modified to any degree to achieve different results. Some like thier heads lighter, some darker.....it is all in how you apply the paints. Here are the colors I used. Don't tell anyone, but I mix and match my waterbased paint brands. Usually I use Wildlife Colors.

Wildlife Colors- White, Paynes Grey, Burnt Umber
    Lifetone colors- Gill Red, Sailfish Blue

This first picture shows the head, with flaking brushed off, and shot holes repaired.

2. bw

bw New Member

The first step will be to even out the colors already on the head. I apply a medium coat of WHITE to the entire head, with a heavier coat on the crown.

3. bw

bw New Member

The second step will be to apply the Paynes Grey to all the applicable areas. Not seen in the picture is all the crevices in the top of the crown...they are also darkened up.

4. bw

bw New Member

The Red goes on next. It is applied to all the needed areas but the eyelids. They will be sprayed later to avoid getting lightened too much in the next step when we apply white again.

5. bw

bw New Member

Now we will come back with our second application of white. It is layered over the Paynes Grey to create a light blue. You can achive different tones of blue by varying the amount of white you use. And another good coat is applied to the crown.

6. bw

bw New Member

This last picture shows the finished head.

The last paints applied were...

Red on the eyelids, then the eyes were cleaned.
    A light, random coat of Sailfish Blue on the cheek patch.
    And Burnt Umber at the base of the bill and nostrils. (After the bill was cleaned)

You can spend all day removing the overspray from the feathers and hairs if you like. For commercial work, I don't bother with anything except the feathers over the ears.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. And I think these will help many of you see what colors are used and how. Don't be afraid to experiment!!!

7. ed150

ed150 deer city time

thats awsome BW,thing looks great

8. Brando24

Brando24 Member

Looks really good. thanks for sharing I'm going to try that.

9. winston

winston Member

This is very helpful and oh what timing as iam getting ready to paint my first head, thank you very much.

10. full fan

full fan New Member

I too use water base paints the same one BW uses, what I have found is after you paint the head let it set over night to dry good then make any changes you may need to. Then hit the whole head with a coat of actone to "cut" the paint & let it all blend together. Then mist with some mate finish.

11. Newmarx

Newmarx Nice Rainbow Rich!!

BW great tutorial,never thought to use paynes grey!

12. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

So what is the best way to remove the overspray?

13. tdennis

tdennis New Member

Hey all, Could all these turkey tips be moved into "tutorials". I think they are all great and would be easier to find and reference back to if they were. I have never mounted one ,'yet' but can't wait to give it a try.

14. cwt

cwt Active Member

awesome

15. bw

bw New Member

Lacquer thinner, tiny paint brushes.....and a rainy day when you have nothing better to do. It will take you forever to do it right.

Quickly, you can airbrush them.

16. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Nice tutorial BW.... ;)

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Mascara works good for the very small feathers.

18. bw

bw New Member

I know others have had luck with mascarra. I tried it several times with mixed results. I could never get it all the way down to the skin, without getting it on the skin too. Maybe it was because I had cheap mascarra, but it always clumped up.

19. when i have used it, i drag my applicator across a paper towel until almost all the color is off prior to putting it on the head.i had the same trouble clumping and making the hairs look 1/4 inch thick.

20. ed150

ed150 deer city time

bw,when u paint ur heads do u use laquer or water base,also what do u seal them with?ed