1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Tips and Tactics #3 - Head Painting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bw, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

2. bw

bw New Member

Cole got it.

As for sealer. I usually don't. The aresol cans only collect on the fine hairs...making them look frosty. and when I use clear sealer through my airbrush..i never saw any benefit. It didn't make the paint anymore durable....so I quit. I'm not telling you its the right way to do it....just my way.

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

hey bw who freeze drys your heads i have two i need done.

4. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

you get that tip from bvankirk LOL

5. bw

bw New Member

Cally Morris has done my heads for years. Some have been better than others. But they are consistently very good. I also have friends who have spoken pretty highly of Brett D at Boondocks. He can be found on this forum. And I bet if you asked nicely...he would probably shoot you a PM with his specifics. I have also handled Harry Whiteheads heads when helping a friend in his shop. They were pretty decent. But that was also fairly early on in his freezedrying days....I would assume that they have probably gotten better since then.

I wouldn't be scared to try any one of those three.

6. ed150

ed150 deer city time

i use bretts heads,they are nice

7. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

put this in the tutorials nice job

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Great post!

9. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Hen Heads being painted or painted would be nice to see too.

10. bw

bw New Member

The next one I paint, I will take some pictures of the process. But I definately don't have them all figured out. Though I feel comfortable painting any Tom I get....Hens drive me crazy. And I have NEVER seen one that I thought was painted completely accurately. I don't have any hens to paint this year either, so I don't know how long it will be before I get one. But I will be painting some heads for another taxidermist in the near future....maybe he will have a hen in there somewhere. If he doesn't, maybe someone here might have one they would like painted.

You have already seen this bird. But since it applies to this thread, I will add it here too. This is the head from that hen bust mount I have floating around this forum.

11. Gobblingfever

I used waterbased Wildlifecolors. I am thinking of buying some laquer for hens due to the feathers getting all clogged up with paint. Not that great and my camera sucks for close ups. Just an example.

12. Gobblingfever

I got a head but need to get her freeze Dried yet. One of my My raised turkey hens. Spring head.

13. ed150

ed150 deer city time

nice pics

14. If you think you have the patience, try this. Take your freeze dried turkey head and pluck all of the feathers and hairs. Cataloging their origin in dixie cups, i.e. waddle feathers, back of neck, top of head, snood, and so on. Once you have plucked the head lightly singe the rest of the fine hairs and feathers off with a small torch. Brush the head down with a good stiff brush and seal with Krylon satin finish. Paint the head with Hydro-mist using a reference photos for the pose.( This will prevent you from singing the Star Spangle Banner every time you look at the mount.) This gives you a blank canvas to work on without worrying about overspray. Spend the next 10 hours gluing the feathers back in and you will have the best turkey head you have ever seen. You also won't want to do another turkey for months. I've done this several times and the results are awesome, crazy, but awesome. Dale

15. msc

msc New Member

Tn
    love the picture tutorial awesome job

16. bw

bw New Member

DManning...that is a great idea. Very doable, if you have the patience. And It would probably be worth it for competition.

17. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

the hens i see up my way are more brown in the head than purple, eastern turkeys...

18. ed150

ed150 deer city time

x2

19. fireduck

fireduck Member

Can you use all lifetone lacquer base paint with the above paint colors.. I notice most here are doing waterbase .

20. bw

bw New Member

You can use lacquers, and you will probably like painting with them better than waterbased paints. I'm just saving my carcinogen quota for bondo fumes instead of lacquer paint fumes!!!