1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Tips and Tactics #3 - Head Painting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bw, Apr 20, 2009.

1. kahoff

kahoff New Member

Thats probably one of the best tutorials I have seen in awhile. Great work!

2. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

The laquer is easier to clean off of the feathers but stink worse though.

3. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Thank you for taking the time to do this bw. I appriciate it

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Thanks BW, great tutorial... I like the results too, very natural without looking overpainted.

5. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

try using Wildlife colors cleaner to remove paint from the feathers . It was designed to remove dry paint.

6. Any prep work to the head before you paint, sealer or clean it?

7. ttt

8. mimes

mimes New Member

nice......did this ever get moved to the tutorial section?

9. bw

bw New Member

Man mimes......you had to dig deep for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look at it now and realize just how short that strutting head was. Holy cow.

10. tom k

tom k New Member

I don't think it did get moved, also can you show us how you do the hens.
    Thanks Tom

11. minehill

minehill New Member

12. Here'a another tip for you. if you want to get just a little purple at the bottom of the cheeks, mist the gill red over the blue.
    Jim

Attached Files:

13. bw

bw New Member

I don't have any hens to paint at the moment, so I can't provide pictures. The colors used are the same. As turkeyjim just illustrated, changing the application of the colors listed is what gets you differing results. Don't be afraid to experiment!!!!!

For hens, you would use a lot more paynes grey over the bulk of the head, and then follow up with white over that color to get the light blue seen in hen heads. Use some reds and fleshy colors on the ridges of the neck and any of the small nodules/caruncles found on the head.

And since there was a question asked way back in the post about dealing with overspray......I'll mention this. In the case of painting hens, paint very close to the head and try and avoid as much over spray as possible. Unless you want to remove and replace all those feathers, you will be fighting a losing battle against over spray. That's just the facts.