1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Gal on the block

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Deb C, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Deb C

Deb C New Member

What would be the best first fish mount? I saw a thread where someone did a crappie and they commented that it is rather harder to do as a first fish mount.

I just ordered two Breakthrough books and I haven't done a thing yet. But hey, I have been fishing my whole life, so...I have seen a ton of different fish.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Deb, do what ever fish you like. It doesn't matter. You can do 100 of them over the next dozen years. Pick a fish you can throw away and not worry about if it doesn't work out. The first few fish is just practice. If they turn out,, fine. But your better fish will be done farther down the road after you have got your bag of tricks full.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Largemouth bass would be the best beginner fish. They are easy to skin without scale loss compared to many other fish.
  4. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I think my first was a 10 inch trout. :) I love that fish. It's ugly as all get out. The lower jaw is a cm off from where it should be. It's got more spots than a dalmation in a pepper flake factory. The fins are off. But I love it. :) I hide it so customers don't see because (thank goodness) I'm better than that now...but I still love it.

Pick one that you have a lot of specimens for. That way when (not if) you mess things up, it won't be the end of the world.

I like smallmouth bass too. Good luck & have fun.

Welcome to the forums too. ;)
  5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

LOL three answers within one minute. LOL
  6. Lisa M

Can't say we aren't a helpful bunch can she T? :)
  7. noobietaxi

noobietaxi Nothing like the CRACK of a .22!!!!

I say we see a pic of the trout!!! ;D
  8. Lisa M

I just don't even think so! LOL :p
  9. Deb C

Deb C New Member

Thank you! I bow to you experienced pros!

I catch a ton of bluegil and some bass on the side.

Practice makes perfect! I can't wait!
  10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

oh come on now Lisa, with 4,630 post, we should be able to see some of your work by now.
  11. Lisa M

Hey...I've posted them...you just haven't seen is all! Besides, you're at 10353 T...and I have yet to see one of your turned ears (that I can remember right at the moment)! UNLESS...:eek:...you have another name?!?! Are you really semisneek?!?! :eek:! Oh no...he doesn't even post his own work...he googles things. Nevermind. ;D :) :)
  12. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Ouch T......Deb, if you have access to LM Bass use them. They are easy to replace and the scales do not pop as easy as some of the others. Welcome to paradise.
  13. HigherGround

HigherGround New Member

Lisa that was below the belt. LOL
  14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Ok Lisa, time to put out, where is your work? Got anything current, like this year?

here is my contribution.

and antler plaques don't count. ;) ;D
  15. [quote Are you really semisneek?!?! :eek:! Oh no...he doesn't even post his own work...he googles things. Nevermind. ;D :) :)

LoL! That's funny I tell ya! :D
  16. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Welcome to the forum Deb!

Lisa, if you post your trout ;D ;D, I will post photos of my "mummy" chipmunk....

T, very nice mule deer! I love mulies, there are a ton around here & whenever I get a chance I go out & watch them & take photos. I can't wait to try my first mulie gamehead.
  17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Semi sneak is real, he is not me. Thanks Bone Painter for the compliment, I don't get to do many mulies, we don't have them around here.
  18. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

Deb C, I recommend either a bass or walleye around 2-3 pounds. Both are fairly tough skinned and heavy scaled which makes them easier to work with. Too small and things are hard to work with and a bit more fragile. Too big and they are hard to handle. The idea is to start with the kind of specimen that you will be able to succeed with, without a lot of difficulty. If you don't have that size specimen, use what you can get, I just consider those to be optimum for training.
  19. Deb, I think you saw my crappie. I agree with old fart, try something with a little tougher skin. It can get quit discouraging when you see the scales start popping off.

Good Luck
  20. I agree on those fish Old Fart. Nothing like working on a Walleye or Bass for ease. Deb C here is a picture of my first fish and hope this will make you feel good when you finish your first one. OH yeah it is a Brown Trout.