1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Return to a pickle or not...

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by John L, Jan 16, 2007.

1. John L

John L Active Member

I was taught to flesh, salt twice, pickle, neutralize, and then use a wire wheel to remove the membrane/plump, and the tan. A lot of times I see people say to shave after the pickle and place back in for a day then remove neutralize and tan.

I tried shaving before neutralizing and it seemed to shave much better/easier. I did place it back it the pickle because I did not have baking soda to neutralize with at the time. I plan to neutralize and tan tomorrow.

1.Why do people recommend that a cape go back into the pickle after shaving?

2.Does it need to be shaved again when removed from the pickle the second time?

3.When neutralizing I have been using a half a tsp of baking soda per gallon and letting soak for about 20-30 mins. Is this good? Asking because if you lay a PH paper on the hide it reads up to 6 or 7. My well water has a ph of 7 without anything added.

4.Is there anything wrong with pulling a cape from the pickle, neutralizing, shaving, and tanning?

John L

2. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Pickle produces the plump and firmnes. It makes it easier to shave to the correct depth.
    Putting back in the pickle insures that the pickle has penetrated entirley throughout the skin. On some capes the thickness prevents it from soaking in.
    Only reshave if you see areas that you missed or plumped back up.

3. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Return to a pickle or not...
    « on: Today at 10:04:07 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was taught to flesh, salt twice, pickle, neutralize, and then use a wire wheel to remove the membrane/plump, and the tan. A lot of times I see people say to shave after the pickle and place back in for a day then remove neutralize and tan.

I tried shaving before neutralizing and it seemed to shave much better/easier. I did place it back it the pickle because I did not have baking soda to neutralize with at the time. I plan to neutralize and tan tomorrow.

1.Why do people recommend that a cape go back into the pickle after shaving?

2.Does it need to be shaved again when removed from the pickle the second time?

3.When neutralizing I have been using a half a tsp of baking soda per gallon and letting soak for about 20-30 mins. Is this good? Asking because if you lay a PH paper on the hide it reads up to 6 or 7. My well water has a ph of 7 without anything added.

4.Is there anything wrong with pulling a cape from the pickle, neutralizing, shaving, and tanning?

John L
    Hi John... back in the pickle, further plumps the skin for more thinning with the shaver.
    how many times to return and shave depends on how thin you want/need the leather.
    keep your neutralizing step short. then make up for any left over acid in the skin by watching your ph closely in the tan. and raising to a 5.5 or possibly a 5.9 ph just a few minutes before removing from the tan..any more questions just ask!
    ;) ;)